BEARINGs FOR STEERING STEM

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

BEARINGs FOR STEERING STEM

Post by TJCOOL »

hey

I was sure I read somewhere (can't remember..) that instead of using the races and ball bearings (opps,..dropped another one..where did that little b@#$%^* go?) that there were actual sealed bearings that could be use in place of the original configuration..

if you know what I'm talking about please let me know...I'm close to rebuilding that area and would rather use sealed bearings that the 'other' stuff...

have 1976 Suzuki GT 250A...eh!

thanks

TJ
sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Re: BEARINGs FOR STEERING STEM

Post by sbaugz »

TJCOOL wrote:hey

I was sure I read somewhere (can't remember..) that instead of using the races and ball bearings (opps,..dropped another one..where did that little b@#$%^* go?) that there were actual sealed bearings that could be use in place of the original configuration..

if you know what I'm talking about please let me know...I'm close to rebuilding that area and would rather use sealed bearings that the 'other' stuff...

have 1976 Suzuki GT 250A...eh!

thanks

TJ
http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1005.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might want to measure your races and compare sizes with all balls
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

thanks..I'll have a look see..

UPDATE:

ok bought me some bearings...they have a good link on their website for Bearing Installation for Dummies...it has lots of pictures..yeah!

so much easier ( I hope) than the fumbling with all those ball bearings...I can never find anything again once it's dropped on to the floor...
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Steering should be noticeably smoother with your new tapered bearings. Most have needed to file down the lower end of the triple tree shaft to get the bearings to fit (avoiding any potential innuendos as much as possible here :) ) and there's a nice little diagram that will come with the bearings to help you do so. I had luck with a marker and hand file but there are more sophisticated methods (lathe).
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

Madbuffalo wrote:Steering should be noticeably smoother with your new tapered bearings. Most have needed to file down the lower end of the triple tree shaft to get the bearings to fit (avoiding any potential innuendos as much as possible here :) ) and there's a nice little diagram that will come with the bearings to help you do so. I had luck with a marker and hand file but there are more sophisticated methods (lathe).

I have a steering stem installer tube thing..meant for this job...think I will still need to do a bit of filing?..no problem if I need to..no lathe available..no room available...no money available...
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

TJCOOL wrote:I have a steering stem installer tube thing..meant for this job...think I will still need to do a bit of filing?..no problem if I need to..no lathe available..no room available...no money available...
If they didn't include the diagram, this link may help. The mod can be done with a file. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
TJCOOL wrote:I have a steering stem installer tube thing..meant for this job...think I will still need to do a bit of filing?..no problem if I need to..no lathe available..no room available...no money available...
If they didn't include the diagram, this link may help. The mod can be done with a file. 8)

still a little confused but if someone could answer this, just in case I missed it in the reading;

my question is what is the separate metal ring with the rubber attached for and where does it go in relation to the bottom bearing and the top bearing? I've never installed bearings before so I'm not familiar on placement of these two parts for top and bottom stem bearing.... :shock:

thank you

Terry
akendall1966
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500_MKIII

Post by akendall1966 »

They are dust seals, bottom one goes on first before the bearing with the rubber lip up, top one goes on last atop the bearing rubber lip down.
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

akendall1966 wrote:They are dust seals, bottom one goes on first before the bearing with the rubber lip up, top one goes on last atop the bearing rubber lip down.

ah..I see..thank you.....there were no instructions in bearing kit...I started to panic.. :?

has anyone had trouble installing tapered bearings to old Suzuki's? I printed out the document from the link that was sent in one reply...little worried these may need some adjusting too..mine is a 1976 Suzuki gt 250a..

tj

these brits are soooo clever!
TJCOOL
On the main road

Post by TJCOOL »

I should have used my brain...if I stop talking it might start working..this link certainly helped too...

http://www.pyramid-parts.com/pages/stee ... ment-guide

like john wayne said

"life is tough but, it's tougher if you're stupid"

tj :?