T500 air filter quandry

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PaulD
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, Dunstall GT750L, GSXR1100, Z1300, GT500

T500 air filter quandry

Post by PaulD »

I've bought a complete air cleaner box to fit my 1973 T500 but I've since found out that there are two different types that where fitted? Can anyone tell me a) when they where changed or b) if one was fitted to the T and the other to the GT and c) which was fitted to which?

This is the one I've bought.

This is the other type.

Those jap bikes are rubbish they won't last five minutes son, get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad

1971 Pink GT750J
1973 Blue T500J
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Re: T500 air filter quandry

Post by ConnerVT »

Short answer: You bought the right one for you 1973. Looks as you will need some foam to put over the internal form. Uni has sheets available, which you can cut/glue (and I suggest adding a tie wrap) which will work fine.

Detailed answer: Suzuki changed many things for the 1973 model year. They changed the air box design (from paper to foam); added a longer intake carb boot (which pushed the airbox back on the frame, necessitating the addition of a second cross bar under the seat to mount the box further back); a new airbox to carb boot (not much different in design, but has an added 'dent" as the boot now interferes with the tach cable); a new oil pump cover (cut part of it off, again interferes with the airbox boot). Oh, and they changed the carb bodies to no longer be homopressure (now externally vented bowl), which changed the carb jetting quite a bit; and changed the cylinder casting.

So really no change between 1972 and 1973 T500. :ssh:
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

You can still get the foam filters from UniFilter (Australia), but you may need to nag at them a bit as there is part number confusion with another filter.
PaulD
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, Dunstall GT750L, GSXR1100, Z1300, GT500

Post by PaulD »

joolstacho wrote:You can still get the foam filters from UniFilter (Australia), but you may need to nag at them a bit as there is part number confusion with another filter.
Thanks for the info but I've found a uk eBay supplier who sells air filter foam in sheets so I can cut and glue them up myself 8)
Those jap bikes are rubbish they won't last five minutes son, get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad

1971 Pink GT750J
1973 Blue T500J