Oil delivery lines replacement.

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Oil delivery lines replacement.

Post by joolstacho »

I'm wondering if anyone has sourced replacement oil lines or has replaced the tubing for the T and GT 500 motor?
I know that the one-way valves are an issue, but what about if the one-way valves are ok but we just have leaking oil lines?
I need to look into it further, but surely it would be possible to cut off the old hard tubing and fit nice new stuff that seals properly.
(I've just run my GT500 for 2 minutes after a year long resto :clap: Nice! Great!) But, I'll need to fix the leaky oil lines I think... Some things like to 'settle in' and improve with a bit of running, but I think old hardened oil tubing won't come good eh?
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Oil delivery lines replacement.

Post by GTandcbr »

Look here it may help you
http://oldjapanesebikes.com/blog/2012/0 ... ion-lines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are not cheap but available!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-gt380- ... 28054c4548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Thanks mate, the Loctite 401 is a good tip. I have no reason to think that the check valves are leaky (into the crankcase) apart from the fact that the bike is 37 years old :?
I'm getting oil leaking on the outside, so it's seeping from the fittings or oil lines. As a starting point I need to find out what oil line to use should I need to make up new lines, and if there are hose clamps that will work or whether to glue the hose/fittings up.
I wonder whether a more flexible hose (like the green fuel line, also used on model aircraft engines) would be suitable. Being flexible there would be less stress on the joints I'm thinking.
Just an idea...
(And I hope the guy selling the 56 quid 'banjo' sets is having a lovely time sipping cocktails in Barbados on his yacht). :wink:
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Post by GTandcbr »

the standard test for leaky oil feed is to remove the spider and using a syringe fill the pipes full of oil and hang it up banjo's down overnight and see if any drips out. Its also worth mentioning the banjo valve importantly prevents crankcase pressure pushing oil back towards the pump. They are a very important part of the lubrication of the bearings and cylinder walls and IMHO I would be very reluctant to change things.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j