Mirrors

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Mirrors

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Suzuki 'S' mirrors are getting ever harder to locate, and at various times copies have been offered for sale, usually out of the UK. When I was at the Stafford motorcycle show a couple of weeks ago (it was great by the way ! :up: ) I tracked down a vendor I'd been in touch with off and on over the past couple of months as supposedly they had them.

I took along an old original backing I had for comparison. They look like this:

The blue is just the protective plastic film, but you can see that the 'S' is in the right location, although a bit smaller than the original. The mirror back is stainless steel which is a good thing as the method they have used to crimp the mirror closed leaves the metal marked. As it is stainless this should polish out OK if you are careful. I have yet to try. The marks can be seen in this photo of the mirror showing the side. Again, the blue plastic film has not yet been removed.

These are sold by TekBikeParts in the UK for £25 per pair, so about $47 in CDN or $39 in Yankee funds. There is an American branch of the same company called TekBikePartsUSA who tell me they also sell them for about $38 in USD. Shipping would be extra of course. Just Google the names to get directed to their web sites. They have both 8mm and 10mm stem mirrors.

While these are copies, they are different enough from the real ones that a devious person could not pretend they are original (assuming that you know what to look for of course), but at the same time they don't look too bad. They are at least an option. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: Mirrors

Post by pearljam724 »

It is nice that people out there are presenting options for these old bikes. At the same time, it will drive down the value of the original mirrors. I have an original set on my 550 that are in mint condition. I bought a cheap set of remakes off Ebay for the 750. The quality and look comparing them to the original "S" mirrors are identical. Minus, no "S" emblem and saving about $100.
Image Image
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

Hi Ian,thanks for the info on the mirrors....I was just about to order some mirrors from Thailand !
Tec Bike Parts have a branch in Queensland,nothing on their Web Site about the mirrors...so I've sent them an Email enquiry !! 8)
Cheers,
Roger
Suzuki GT750A
GT750Battleship.
buffalodave
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750A

Post by buffalodave »

Thanks for the info...I was looking for a set for my Kettle project. I can afford THOSE!
BUT there is NO mention of them on their US web site... :?: :?: :?:
GT750Battleship
Road race school

:cry: I've heard back from Tec Bike Parts in Queensland,a few 8ml thread mirrors available,but no 10ml,once all 8ml sold,stock will not be kept ?
I'm now waiting on email reply from the UK office ?
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

GT750Battleship wrote:I'm now waiting on email reply from the UK office ?
They do seem to have gone quiet, and it also does look as if they will not be making more, which is a shame. Still waiting to for confirmation from the UK branch, but not holding my breath. 8)
Ian

GT750Battleship
Road race school

Hi Ian,no replie to my Email from the UK on the mirrors :!: I would say they have been contacted by Suzuki's Lawyers in regard to breach of Copyright Laws :oops: That scrolled "S" is definately a big issue for the Company, & I can understand why they want to protect it :shock: A shame as the price was a big saving over second hand genuine mirrors :?
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
buffalodave
Around the block

Post by buffalodave »

I never heard from them either... BUT I highly doubt Suzuki really cares about someone making a knock off part that they themselves stopped making (or having made for them, more likely) decades ago. IF they still sold or reproduced it then I could see it MAYBE.
If they were REALLY worried about that "S" logo being reproduced without their permission they would have a team of lawyers working 24/7 just on unlicensed T-shirts on ebay!!!

But in the grand scheme of things I think they are more concerned about their current products. IMHO! 8)
GT750Battleship
Road race school

buffalodave wrote:I never heard from them either... BUT I highly doubt Suzuki really cares about someone making a knock off part that they themselves stopped making (or having made for them, more likely) decades ago. IF they still sold or reproduced it then I could see it MAYBE.
If they were REALLY worried about that "S" logo being reproduced without their permission they would have a team of lawyers working 24/7 just on unlicensed T-shirts on ebay!!!

But in the grand scheme of things I think they are more concerned about their current products. IMHO! 8)
I think your missing the point :!: It's a "Knock Off Part" not a damm T Shirt :!: that "S" is a major part of the Company's long history,try messing with McDonalds & their Logo,or Coco Cola & any of their Logos :wink: good luck with that :cry: "In the grand scheme of things" the "S" is STILL a BIG part of current day product CARS,BIKES & everything else Suzuki produces :| What else would stop TEC bike suddenly stop "selling" the mirrors,a sure top seller for them around the World,I can't understand why current genuine '70's style Suzuki mirrors are not stamped with the "S" :?: TEC Bike Queensland Email to me "only a few 8ml mirrors left,& when their gone the stock won't be replenished" :roll: I'm sure Delkevic parted with plenty of money for the rights to the tooling to reproduce the exhaust system on the GT750 :shock:
Regards,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
buffalodave
Around the block

Post by buffalodave »

I know what you are saying about the "S" being important to Suzuki.

BUT if TEC was "in trouble" for selling knock of S stamped mirrors then they would have been forced to stop selling them completely...not when we run out of stock there will be no more... They may simply have been more grief to make than they were worth or they may not have sold as well as expected. Who knows...
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Here is the reply I got this morning from the US branch (I was able to order a few more sets) :

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for payment. The mirrors were shipped this evening, but you won't see any tracking info until tomorrow. We only have a handful of 8mm mirrors and no longer any 10mm ones. Too bad, I'd be happy to sell you a boat load of them...

Tec in UK may very well have plenty of both types in stock. It might be to your benefit to discuss a bulk purchase with them. Manufacturing decisions are the exclusive purview of Tec in the UK.

Regards,
Dave

TEC Bike Parts USA
http://www.TECbikepartsUSA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So anyone wanting more info will need to follow up with Dave if you need 8mm, and otherwise George Milburn of TecBikeParts in the UK. The contact information is available at this link - and I should mention that he is not great at answering email. 8)
Ian

buffalodave
Around the block

Post by buffalodave »

Ian,
At least you heard from them, I never did.
Since you ARE the EXPERT...are the 76 model 8 or 10mm? I have the vibration extensions as well.
And can I get a set from you since you bought a few sets apparently!
(I am on facebook and I am the guy who is always busting my buddy Robert Nicholson's chops!)
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

buffalodave wrote:Since you ARE the EXPERT...are the 76 model 8 or 10mm? I have the vibration extensions as well.
My so called friends only consider me to be a semi-talented hack, and that is when they are feeling kind :? but yours would be 10mm. I just got what I needed for myself, but if that changes I can send you a pair. PM or email your contact info to me so I have it on file. In the meantime, I'll try again to get a reply from George. 8)
Ian

GT750Battleship
Road race school

Hi,Ian,thanks for the info,glad you got some sort of reply ? I didn't !! It would be nice to have something like the originals fitted to my '76 GT750A & I'll probably fit the ones made in Thailand IF I don't hear any more news soon on the Tec Bike ones...strange way to do business...market something for a short space of time,then drop them from inventory & ignore Emails from potential customers :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship
Road race school

:? Ian,this is the latest info on the mirrors,you received advice from US Tec Bike,about mirrors in 10ml thread size..NOT being available in the U.S.George in the UK replys to my Email this evening "we have no stock..but our U.S. Office does :x
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.