GT550 shocks

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joewillybob
Around the block

GT550 shocks

Post by joewillybob »

Wow, my 550 has really poor ground clearance,especially leaning to the left. How much longer can I go with the rear shocks and still clear the mufflers? Thanks
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: GT550 shocks

Post by pearljam724 »

All these bikes have poor ground clearance. Yours is no different, But your left side shock's sag may be adjusted too extreme for your weight. Or you may need a heavier spring for your weight period. Put the bike on center stand measure from center to center of shock's eye. Verify what length you own now, see how much more length you have until the bottom eye hits the muffler. That's how much longer you can go. The rear wheel has to be off the ground when measuring.
Image Image
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

When I had my original 550 in 1972, I had a 19" rear rim spoked onto the hub and did away with the centre stand. that allows a better angle of lean. If you don't want to fit another rim, just lose the centre stand (or a few dozen pounds)!!!! :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

The problem with these dinosaurs isn't so much the exhaust, stands, shocks, rims, etc. It's the fact that the engine casings stick out entirely too far. You can do all you want in the rear of the bike to improve this or that. But it's a waste of time and effort, if you can't improve ground clearance because of the casings. Which is the biggest hindrance. It is, what it is. A straight line queen :mrgreen:
Image Image
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

People should realise that GT stands for 'Grand Tourer' not 'Great Thrash'.
Treat the bike as it was designed, for spirited '70s style biking. If you want to go faster in a straight line or round bends, get something more modern as an old bike can bite you if you demand too much.
Amend your riding style a bit, use the old Paul Smart 'off the seat' cornering technique, although this looks daft if you're an old giffer or more suited to a sports bike anyway.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

Alan H wrote:People should realise that GT stands for 'Grand Tourer' not 'Great Thrash'.
Treat the bike as it was designed, for spirited '70s style biking. If you want to go faster in a straight line or round bends, get something more modern as an old bike can bite you if you demand too much.
Amend your riding style a bit, use the old Paul Smart 'off the seat' cornering technique, although this looks daft if you're an old giffer or more suited to a sports bike anyway.
Alan,GT could also stand for "Gravel" "Tarmac" if you treat these old girls with disrespect,that's exactly where you'll end up,in the Gravel OR on the Tarmac!!!!.... :oops:
Cheers,
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.