trouble with fork

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sham56
Still in the Driveway

trouble with fork

Post by sham56 »

Just bought my first suzuki, a 1971 t500. Im having an issue with the forks-they seem to have no travel, they're very stiff. when i put on the center stand they extend about an inch or so but when off riding or pushing down the have no movement feels like I have a rigid front end. anyone know what my issue is? thanks
tz375
Moto GP

Re: trouble with fork

Post by tz375 »

Could be a number of different things. A few thoughts are:

Bent fork leg
Legs twisted in the triples
Rust
Too much oil
Dings or dents in the sliders

I'd start by checking the legs to see if they are parallel in the triples, then I'd drain the oil and if that looks goo, see if the fork work with no oil. If they are still stiff, I'd pull both legs and check for straightness and then strip them to see what's going on inside.
sham56
Still in the Driveway

Post by sham56 »

thanks for the help. one of the forks was dry and the other was overflowing with oil. drained and refilled working properly now.
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

sham56 wrote:thanks for the help. one of the forks was dry and the other was overflowing with oil. drained and refilled working properly now.

Sounds like the previous owner thought he would save time by putting all the oil in one fork instead of two... :roll:
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum