Swingarm bushes

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Swingarm bushes

Post by tz375 »

On teh last GT750 I restored, I got a set of bronze bushes from parts n More (I think) but the OD was way too large so I had to have them turned down to create the correct interference fit.

Lat night I was stripping the swingarm off Phat Trakka to send it for powedercoat and I happened to measure the plastic bushes and sleeves. I need to repeat the measurement because it looks to me as if the bush OD is an exact inch size not an odd metric size. And the inner sleeve is the same - inch OD and metric bore for that skinny spindle.

If I'm right i'll be able to use SCE1416 needle rollers and stock sleeves or I could use try to use Yamaha sleeves which are "almost" the same OD but are made for a 2mm larger spindle.

Anyone else measured those stock bushes ?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

So the swingarm came back nice and shiny and one I got the bore cleaned out of all the surplus sand, I was able to "press" in two full complement needle roller bearings in to each side.

INA no longer supply SCE1412, but Torrington (Timken) suppply a B1412 to the same dimensions. They are 3/4 inch wide so i used two each side.

Then I cut off the ends of the plastic sleeves leaving about 2-3mm of the sleeve and they were pressed in to each end.

I ordered new bearings sleeves (spacer they are called) plus thrust washers and O rings from Bike Bandit, lubed it all up and slid in nice and just tight enough :). Moves smoothly with no play.

I still have no idea why Suzuki machine the swingarm to an inch dimension. Really rather odd.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

That's great to know. I was just thinking about ordering the brass bushings but I had heard that they don't fit right. And I didn't just want to use new plastic bushings alone.