GT750 Swingarm Bushings

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

markj
To the on ramp

GT750 Swingarm Bushings

Post by markj »

More help guys, I've heard that the partsnmore swingarm bushings won't fit the buffalo but I emailed them and they said that they were a direct bolt on fit. Can anyone confirm this? The stock bushings didn't seem that bad but I might as well put this thing back together as tight and new as possible - especially steering - suspension and brakes.
So many Projects - So little time
tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 Swingarm Bushings

Post by tz375 »

I agree that's what they say, but they are wrong. I had to have my last set turned down on the OD to get them to fit and they still had to be reamed to size after they were pressed in.
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

tz375 wrote:I agree that's what they say, but they are wrong. I had to have my last set turned down on the OD to get them to fit and they still had to be reamed to size after they were pressed in.
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll try the needle bearing mod you have graciously posted on your pinkpossum page. It doesn't look too bad and I'm guessing it's a lot better than using stock bushings.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

markj wrote:
tz375 wrote:I agree that's what they say, but they are wrong. I had to have my last set turned down on the OD to get them to fit and they still had to be reamed to size after they were pressed in.
I was afraid of that. I guess I'll try the needle bearing mod you have graciously posted on your pinkpossum page. It doesn't look too bad and I'm guessing it's a lot better than using stock bushings.
I (and lots of other folks here in Calgary) had the same problem Richard mentions with the PartsnMore bushes - there is no way in hell they will fit without modification. I have installed Richard's needle roller bearing conversion idea on my '73 - not hard at all and I'm pleased with it - I wrote about it here. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

So two of these is all I need + cutting the old fiber cups as flanges?

http://www.amazon.com/Torrington-B-1412 ... =8-2-fkmr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

markj wrote:So two of these is all I need + cutting the old fiber cups as flanges?
Two on either side, so four in total.
Ian

markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

So with everything cleaned I test fitted the needle bearings with the axle and bushings and I found it's a little looser than I thought. I'm a little concerned that over time that play could hurt the bearings but I'm no engineer so i don't know.
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Post by two-stroke-brit »

partsnmore dont seem to be listing the swingarm (bronze) bushes any more.
and i cant seem to find an alternative sorce.
any help would be appreciated.
cheers mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
crash277
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, RSV1000r, CBR600F4i

Post by crash277 »

not to hijack, but i was reading your site Ian and wholy crap!!! that garbage tyre trick is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

markj wrote:So with everything cleaned I test fitted the needle bearings with the axle and bushings and I found it's a little looser than I thought. I'm a little concerned that over time that play could hurt the bearings but I'm no engineer so i don't know.
I had the same thought, but once I had everything bolted up it actually felt fine. Time will tell I suppose, and you could well be correct - although I can't help thinking that the hardened steel rollers will last longer than the fibre bushes :D
Ian

markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
markj wrote:So with everything cleaned I test fitted the needle bearings with the axle and bushings and I found it's a little looser than I thought. I'm a little concerned that over time that play could hurt the bearings but I'm no engineer so i don't know.
I had the same thought, but once I had everything bolted up it actually felt fine. Time will tell I suppose, and you could well be correct - although I can't help thinking that the hardened steel rollers will last longer than the fibre bushes :D
I agree. I'm sure it's better than the stock setup.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

crash277 wrote:not to hijack, but i was reading your site Ian and wholy crap!!! that garbage tyre trick is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, but I can't take the credit for the trash bag trick - that was posted by diamondj some time ago on the board at this link. It is a pretty cool way to mount a tire - make sure you get a really thin bag as I found that to be best. 8)
Ian