Archived Posts

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

T500 frame bracing

Post by Admin »

Anyone have specs or dimensions for the additional frame bracing on a T500 frame? I'm interested in the two tubes running from the swingarm pivot area to the top frame rails near the seat/tank junction. Apparently, it's a rather common mod for track duty.

Also, if a person makes that mod (I have a "friend" with a T500 project bike) would that guy also have problems with oil tanks, battery boxes and the like fitting up where they should afterward?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I've done it to a 68 and a 76 frame, two different ways. I know that the oil tank will mount o.k. Never used the side cover, but I think it will mount too since it attaches to the existing frame member. You'll have to loose the air box tho. The tube is pretty much in pure tension and compression, so it doesn't need to be huge to give full benefit. I ground down the plate at the swing arm end a bit to get closer to the swing arm. Try to get right to the cross brace that holds the top tube from the steering head. You should almost have a straight line from the swing arm to the top of the steering head when done.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Picture of '68

Post by Admin »

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I used 1" diameter tubing and ran it from junction of steering stem suppot to swingarm pivot plates like TerryG states.

I didn't run a battery or airbox so I didn't have to deal with those potential fit issues.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I've seen heaps of picks of this modification and have wondered about sideways flex. Would it be better if the extra bracing ran from the bottom left hand side to the top right hand ride and vise versa? Or is side flex never an issue?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Racers have been doing that frame mod for 30 years. It must work OK.....

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

O.T.

Ralph,

I remember you being asked about this before, and sorry for the hijack.

What is that paint on your frame? I think its cool! :rock:

Do you remember where you purchased it!!

Thanks!!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

It's "Hammered" black, believe it or not. I used the same stuff on my TS400. Mine was made by Rustoleum and I got it at either K-Mart or the True Value hardware store...I can't remember which. One thing I've found is that the stuff I bought is not fuel-resistant. Clear engine enamel over it would be a good idea.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hammerite brand paint out of the UK was one of the first to offer this kind of finish. Rustoleum offers a hammered finish paint and is available at Home Depot and Lowes. It comes in a few colors and I believe the stuff Desmo used on his frame is their hammered silver color. Here's one link I found to an on-line seller of hammerite:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ray+paints

and the Rustoleum site:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?fr ... d=21&SBL=1

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey Ralph whats the Oil tank off of? I've been looking thru several Hundred R/C Fuel Tanks but just can't find the one I'm looking for.That one looks like it will fit in my Frame. :grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

fork oil

Post by Admin »

I recently acquired a number 1 products fork kit for my GT750A. What viscosity oil do you think would be good. I plan to use the bike for daily commuting and light touring. Thanks.
Jr.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I've done the "Cycle World" version of the number one fork kit, and I still use ATF, like the factory spec'd. It works well for me. The sad truth is that I can't tell the difference between ATF and "real" fork oil.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

fork oil

Post by Admin »

I know I used to use ATF years ago, but I never really compared it to "fork oil". Seemed to me it used to make forks a little stiffer than they were with the original oil, or I may have been putting a little more volume in than was original, that can make 'em stiffer on compression. I think I'll try it again. Thanks.
Jr.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

T500 fork springs?

Post by Admin »

just got some fork springs off Adam.there was a batch made for us guys by someone on here.the question is what mods if any to fit or will these fit straight in. thanks
Admin
Supreme UFOB

75 gt750m fork oil volume?

Post by Admin »

Can anyone help? The service manual I get off mraxl's resource page blows, it is lacking about half the key items for repair. If any one has a service manual to check the fork volume I could finish my for rebuild. Thanks Mac