T500 in TR3 Chassis

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Suspensionking
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500 Suzuki, AJR Bultaco, Honda NS475

T500 in TR3 Chassis

Post by Suspensionking »

Hi I have a T500 engine fitted in TR3 Yamaha chassis.
I bought it from a guy in Belgium as a classic race bike. He had won
The Belgium championshp with it in 2013.
I have run it in Spa, Dijon & Zolder to set it up snd make some adjustments.
I had the engine rebuild and ran it in the last round of the Spanish classic championship and
It went well finished 4th. I have done quite some work on the Suspension myself as I work for a large
Suspension company so I build some rear shocks and worked on the Geometry.
Now I want to fit a Rear Disc. Does anyone know a company that would be able to make a one off rear
Swingarm if supplied with the details?
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: T500 in TR3 Chassis

Post by titan performance »

That will be very expensive. Spotted this Yam framed 500 at Chimay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Yes that is my bike. That picture must have been with the previous owner
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Here a picture from the race in Spain last October
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
titan performance
Expert racer

That picture was taken a couple of years ago.....I think I saw the bike again this year didn't I?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vzvKVEC4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Lots of bikes about with disc rear wheels. I've got a GS550 swing arm/wheel in my GT550 frame and fits perfectly. Why not ask on a Yamaha forum?
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Thanks for the Youtube link not sure where that was taken but this year I
Rode the bike at a testday in Zolder & then at Moto legend event in Dijon and finally the race in Spain.
I know the previous owner had a 2nd T500 so perhaps its that on the video.
My intension next season is to do all 5 rounds of the championship in Spain. But I have to run
In the open class so 900 Honda's etc so I need to make it a bit more competitive.
bs_racer
On the street

Post by bs_racer »

I would love to see pictures of the bike without the fairing. I've been thinking about putting one of my T500 engines in a Yamaha frame for a couple years now.
I wasn't sure what sort of accessibility issues I would encounter. Seeing that it has been done makes me want to take a closer look into it.
Thanks for posting here. Tim
Worrying is simply praying for something you don't want.
titan performance
Expert racer

The Youtube clip was filmed at Chimay, the same year as the photograph, which was a few years ago now....maybe 3 or 4.
I didn't really take any pictures this year, but I thought I had seen your bike there.....clearly mistaken.

Lovely looking machine, I'll bet that handles very well, as it looks long and low.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I made inquiries on another forum where there are folks who do lots of stuff with Yamahas, as well as strange engines in strange frames. Interesting folk and usually quite mad - as most of us have to be........
You'll have to register, but it's free and might be worth a go.
Here's a link to the question I posted;
One guy seems to think that a disc can be fitted to a standard TR3 swinging arm, so here you go.
If you can't get on for any reason, post here and I'll see what can be transferred.

http://the2strokeforum.proboards.com/th ... ics-advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have an annual competition - to build a bike with 'unsuitable engine and frame' and run it on a track in less than 12 months. Turbo 2 stroke. Yup. 500 Suzuki in a 250 frame. Yup. etc. etc. Quite mental and very good.
Please accept that the sense of humour may be 'odd'.
You have been warned!!! :lol: :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi,

In the UK I can recommend Alf Mossell ( http://www.alfmossellracing.co.uk/ ) who should be able to build you a new swinging arm for use with a rear disc.

Cheers Geoff
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Wow lots of response that you.

I all check out the Yamaha forum and also look at GS rear Swing arm & disc set up.

I will post some pictures of the bike without the fairing so you can see the frame the only real issue is the access to the engine. Its really tight in there and removal is not easy and also to lift the Heads you need to unbolt the engine and move it to a certain angle to lift out the heads. It does handle really well but turns too slow so for the coming season I have built some Fox Shocks at 350mm eye to eye as the current ones are 330mm.

I know Alf he and I used to race together in World Endurance series for Harris back in the day he is quite busy and is already working on another project for me with a 3 cylinder NS Honda. I would like him to make me a swing arm for the Suzuki but the time line is too tight.

Thanks for all the great feedback.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I'm sure it's not the same bike, but I almost bought a bike in that same color etc from Leo Coles in VIC Australia decades ago. I want to say he had it at Broadford but it may have been Winton. That one had some changes made to the lower front corner of the frame to squeeze that big lump in. That was before I bought my first TZ250B with an RD400 motor in it and then I exchanged a pair of CB92 projects for a TZ250A and a 250E. The RD400 hybrid ended up as a TD3, the A went to Tassie and the E we built and my son raced it for years in OZ.

What is the story behind your bike?
Suspensionking
Around the block

Post by Suspensionking »

Well I bought this bike from a guy in Belgium and he had bought it some years before from someone in the Uk where he calims it was built.
I met him at the Bikers Classic in Spa in 2014 and had
Arranged to test the bike there before buying. Aftrr the Bike
Has stayed in Belgium where it is Prepared by a former machanic of Kenny Roberts. He has
Rebuult it and done a fantastic job. Now he is working on the engine and chassis, i have just built
Some new Fox shocks longer to help speed up the turn in. Then I will race it
In the Spanish championship this year. I did the last round of ghe Championship last October as a shake
Down and finished 4th in Class. So it should be competitive.
Mgmark
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: ‘75 GT750, '19 Triumph T100

Post by Mgmark »

Another possiblity would be to use an RD400 swingarm along with the UK spec RD400 wire wheel hub for disc brakes. This would be an almost bolt on affair using all stock yamaha 400 parts with the only drawback being the swingarm not being as stout as the TD/TR unit, and the shock mounts are a bit narrower on the TR frame than the 400 swingarm. The 400 arm is an inch longer so may help the handling also. Just lace up your alloy rim to the RD hub. This hub also had rubber dampers built into the sprocket mounts.
There are some stout custom RD swingarms being made so strength wouldn't be an issue.

Just an idea.
Mark