how do you improve the ride - two up - on a gt380

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ramjam
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gsx 750R, GPZ 750, GT380

how do you improve the ride - two up - on a gt380

Post by Ramjam »

I've noticed that when i take the mrs on the back, the handling is just plain weird. Really lumpy ride and it tends to weave across the road a tad.
Any suggestions? I've looked at how to firm up the rear shocks but i didn;t grasp how to do it. If anyone can offer an idiot-proof explanation, i would be grateful

best
MJ
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: how do you improve the ride - two up - on a gt380

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Martin - that is a bit like asking 'how long is a peice of string ?' A lot of variables at play: tyre inflation pressure, condition of swing arm bushings, front fork oil wieght and condition of the springs, type of rear shock and of course the weight of the passengers being carried. If your rear shocks are original, then they are likely shot, but you can check the owner's manual on how to adjust them on this link - see 'Tips on Riding'.

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... 0jown.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Or move up to a bike bigger than a 380? (j/k) :P

30 years ago (was a bit lighter then) I found my T500 a bit of a bear to ride 2 up. beside being pushed up towards the talk, the suspesion never did like the weight of a passenger. :|
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

thanks to both of you for your feedback. Think i better read the bloody manual and try and harden the rear shocks, as they are adjustable.

i DID notice however that front type BP was about 1.5 and the rear was closer to 1.0.
I guess that would effect it, right?

mj
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The good news is that you are out and about riding the bike, :up:

Weight on the back of a bike often upsets the handling. Stiffer rear shocks and harder tyre pressure will help to stop the back end from dragging and may help handling some. There should be a ring below the spring that has a series of steps or notches on the lower surface. Rotate those and you will see the way they ratchet up and increase preload.

Crank them all the way up if they are not there already and try that.

If that's not enough, try sitting as far forward as possible and lean forward and have you wife do the same and see if that calms things down. if you have high bars, it may be beneficial to fit a slightly lower set but try to avoid going too low with stock footpegs.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

thanks TZ. COuld you give me a little detail on HOW exactly one goes about doing the adjustment to the rear shocks? Do you keep them attached to the bike, first of all, when doing it? I can see the three steps, but i can't work out how to adjust them and which way is firmer etc
thanks
mj
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Ramjam wrote: but i can't work out how to adjust them and which way is firmer etc
The bigger the step, the shorter, more compressed the spring is, the firmer the ride. If you have stock shocks, then as shown in the photo in the owner's manual at the link I previously gave you just use the rod from the tool kit also used for the box wrenches with the shock attached to the frame. In a pinch, any metal rod having the right diameter to fit the hole in the shock body will work (try a Phillips or Robertson screw driver). If your shocks are not original, then often a pin wrench, or coller wrench is used. It varies with the make. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Google adjusting shock preload for lots of images of the process. All you do is rotate the spring collar, usually on the bottom of the spring on OEM shocks. You can probably grab it and rotate by hand with gloves on.
Ramjam
To the on ramp

Post by Ramjam »

dear Ian and TZ
I couldn't open the link Ian sent but that might be down to my hopeless int speed here.

I'm sure i have original shocks. But can i just ask 2 questions before i start messing around with them as i didn't find anything useful on the net

1. The tiny hole for the tool. Is it just a question of pushing a rod into this hole to 'free' up the adjustment?
2. If i place my hand on the lower part of the shock, is the whole thing supposed to twist? and therefore climb up or go down the 'steps'?

as always, thanks for your patience

best
MJ
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Yes to #2. The "hole" is for a special pin spanner/c Spanner with a pin on the end to go into that hole. If you can find a rod or screwdriver that's a good fit in there, just turn it like a mill stone with a horse at the end of the rod....
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Get the correct size but it will look like this and you can purchase them at bicycle stores http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ91197 ... 7AodoB8Anw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was