Archived Posts

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

18" vs stock 19" front rims on a GT750

Post by Admin »

Why do people use 18" front rims in hop up scenarios?

It doesn't seem like that much weight savings, and dropping the axle by 1/2" doesn't seem like that large of an adjustment either.....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Good question.

Usually because it looks better, but really it's because there are more tire choices in 18" than 19".

BTW, a 100/90-18 is 25.1" rolling diameter compared with 25.4 for a 90/90 -19 so there's not much in it.

The last 3.25 - 19 I measured was 25.9". so that 100/90 would have dropped the front end by 0.4' which isn't too drastic. besides, a change to a lower profile rear tire would drop the back by almost the same amount and all would be well.

The numbers are all at:
http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/Wheel%20sizes.pdf
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

An 18" wheel steers more easily. The front end feels lighter.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

T500 rear shocks

Post by Admin »

Is anyone running those Partsnmore replacements for T500 shocks? Those are the only aftermarket units I could find. Also, is there any was to fit those inside the stock shock covers? I imagine not but i really like the look of the stock boingers. thanks
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You can still get new T500 shocks from Paul Miller for about $100.

Wayne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'm running them I believe,the ones on my t500 look just like them(were on there when I got the bike.Mine are actually shorter than need be but work well if you like a firm ride,they are dampened well for the stiff spring,the old T500 handles much better than the 71 T500 I had when I was young(long ago!) they don't have very much travel but I don't seem to mind,I've considered buying longer ones to see how they do,BikeBandit lists the length in the specs,for the price of used shocks I think they are a deal.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Motor Mount Rubber Bushing Question.

Post by Admin »

I've got a bazillion original black rubber bushing motor mounts and will be able to put a nice looking old set together.

Would it be worthwhile ponying up the cash to put new ones in?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

If they're still soft, I'd use them.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Cool, that saves a bit of cash. Thanks.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

front spring malady

Post by Admin »

Any one have any tricks to improve front end handling on a T500? My shocks are way mushy. New ATF helped but it still feels like an Oldsmobile. Is there a progressive spring application that would work with these bikes?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Re: front spring malady

Post by Admin »

mtellone1 wrote:Any one have any tricks to improve front end handling on a T500? My shocks are way mushy. New ATF helped but it still feels like an Oldsmobile. Is there a progressive spring application that would work with these bikes?
There's no application in Progressive Suspension's inventory for the T or GT 500. I haven't checked Racetec, Wilburs, Works, or the others, but I'd doubt it.

When you say "mushy," do you mean that the bike nosedives badly when you apply the front brake. If that's the case, cut preload spacers from PVC pipe - try 1/2" to start. But if the front end acts like a pogo stick, that's weak damping - stiffer springs won't cure that. Try 20 wt. fork oil.

Geezer
Admin
Supreme UFOB

springs

Post by Admin »

By mushy I mean very slow to react; feels like a cruiser.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

ATF may be too thin,I'm running a mix of twenty and thirty weight,and still the fork follows the bumps very quickly,but it doesn't drop through the travel too much under braking.I am running a high oil level to help with the effective spring rate,makes the fork really progressive though.
Any preloading of T500 springs usually means a loss of travel due to coil bind plus harsh "topping" out.
Stiffer springs would be the best answer with more rebound damping,but no aftermarket springs exist.

I forget just were I set the oil level in my forks,I just kept adding oil until I got the ride I wanted,had to compromise between stiffness and topping out.
Haven't blown out the seals from too high internal pressures,I doubt that I get anything like the pressure a modern MX bike gets with it's foot of travel and internal springs that limit the volume of the forks.

Forks coming apart this winter for experimentation!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

New aluminum swingarm

Post by Admin »

This is a new similar to DG swingarm that can be made to fit nearly any application.

I need a list of people interested as the first batch will be about 5 or so.

e-mail sundialmotosport@swva.net

http://vancouver.globat.com/~sundialmot ... ervice.htm
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

That's a nice-looking unit at a competitive price. Looking at my riding from a realistic standpoint, I don't need one, but they'll be a great improvement for a racer.

Lane