Archived Posts

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Cliff, to eliminate something else that can cause it, have you checked your tire pressures?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You can preload them more than balls, but I don't know if that'll make it better or worse. Maybe you have them too tight already.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'd be interested in seeing the information you have compiled, but am not a member of that group. Can you post the information here?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

rngdng wrote:You can preload them more than balls, but I don't know if that'll make it better or worse. Maybe you have them too tight already.

Lane
That's what it sounds like to me. Too tight, the front end does not have the ability to self-correct. As you mosey down the road, you should be able to let go of the handlebars and stear through ballancing the bike. If this cannot be done, if the front end does not have the freedom to move to the right or left, the bearings are adjusted too tight.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Me too. I was a member a long time ago, but all it did was fill up my email box. I won't join it again.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

And how exactly do I do that? Is there a "files" section I can upload to or do I have to cut and paste into a posting?

I suppose i could put it on one of our web sites

What works best for this forum?
Last edited by Admin on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

This might work

Post by Admin »

OK,

I posted it to Pink Possum and the link is:

http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/Wheel%20sizes.pdf

I hope that works. if you find any errors, please let me know. Suzukidave has asked me to add a 170 rear tire to clear the chain on the superbuffalo aka GTXR.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Soft front tire, that's all it was. Thanks Gordon! Blew up the tires and now I don't look like a 5 year riding for the first time without the training wheels!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yeah, I've been caught that way before, too. It doesn't take much of an underinflation to make the bike radically understeer.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Rear swingarm

Post by Admin »

I'm leaving the front end alone with the drum, but am considering switching the rear swingarm with an aluminum one to accomodate a little bit larger diameter tire...

I can make one like this fit with a little cutting and bending, but other than bling and a bit bigger tire I'm not sure if its worth it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-Suz ... enameZWD1V

I don't imagine there is a close to "bolt on" aluminum swingarm out there for the 1972 GT750?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

GS1100E aluminum arm bolts right up, BUT the stock pipes won't fit anymore, AND it's about 3" longer.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Cool, thats just what I wanted (even the little bit longer part, and I've got to fabricate new mounts for the ocelot expansion chambers I got ahold of anyway)

Thanks!!!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

A mid-nineties Yamaha FZR600 swing-arm fits a GT550 chassis well needing only a couple of "top-hat" bushings to center the swing arm and allow the use of the stock pivot bolt. I suspect it would also work in a GT750 as well. If you can track down an FZR400 swing-arm, they are aluminum and the same dimensions as the 600 swinger. Plus they are the same length as the GT550 swing-arm.

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I went with the GS1100E because I'd like to keep the bike all suzuki at least (I don't really know why, just because I guess)

And I like accelerating fast in a straight line without the front end coming up (I don't really know why either, just because I guess)

:grin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 87202&rd=1

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Good 'ole Napa has "Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Oil"; Its 10W or 10W multi, comes by the gallon in two or three grades. I like the "between the fingers feel" of this vis-a-vis ATF. A gallon of the top grade is only a few bucks and should last me to the end. :o Ed

550A
Bul 370 Frontera
buncha other stuff not worth mentioning