Forgive my ignorance...

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jbswear
On the main road

Forgive my ignorance...

Post by jbswear »

...but I've never bought oil for a 2-smoker. There's enough in the oil tank to run a few tanks of gas, but I want to replace it...it has been sitting in there for 30+ years...

So what do I buy?
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

Oh, now you've done it, a what kind of oil thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I run Penzoil semi-synthetic outboard motor oil in all my Suzuki's 2-strokers, even the RM250. It's $12 a gallon at walmart, sometimes they have a full synthetic that's about twice as high, they also have one for aircooled, I think it's called outdoors oil or something like that, for saws and such. About any kind of 2-stroke boatmotor oil is OK but not the PWC oil.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
fuzzybutt
On the street

Post by fuzzybutt »

ahhhhhhh so "what kind of oil" threads are as popular here as over on the sohc4 boards eh?
72 suzuki t500
74 honda cb750k
75 honda cb750f
hopefully soon, a 1948 ariel square four.

fat people are harder to kidnap
jbswear
On the main road

Post by jbswear »

No no no no no no no!!!

This isn't a what brand or what formula!

It's "What do I buy?" Is there something called "2-stroke oil" that I buy?

That's what I mean.

Yeah, we see these friggin' "What brand/viscosity/color/flavor oil do I buy?" all the farking time over on SVRider.com
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Post by Wayne Meuir »

Yep, you need to buy oil that is labeled "2 stroke oil" If you buy motorcycle specific oil, some is made for pre mix only and should not be used in injector systems, some will work in either.

Moptorcycle specific oil will usually run $10-$14 per quart. That's a lot, but really, just exactly how much of this stuff do you us? Even at $20 a quart, noone except Iron Butt Allen is going to spend a lot of money on oil.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

If you have a local Suzuki dealer, Suzuki CCI oil is as good as any. I think that's all Iron Butt Allen uses. It won't take you the cleaners either at about $6.00 a quart.
If you feel the need for something sexier, check your local independant bike shops for Silkolene Super 2 injector oil. On an old post here, there was a guy that used this oil exclusively in 10 years of racing. Said every season teardown the motor was super clean inside with NO carbon build up. It's about 10 bucks a quart.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

All I can add, is that we all have our own favorite oils, but in general you are looking for a good quality oil designed for two strokes with oil injection. Typically pre-mix oils are too viscous to push through those tiny oil feed holes, so injection oil is thinner.

Suzuki CCI is OK as is Yamalube 2S, Honda have an equivalent. maxima, Silkolene, Motul ate all great oils.

in our Aprillia Cup bike, we used to use only Silkolene oils from MotoLiberty in Dallas. Audrey and her staff are great and used to support us at the races.

No point in paying big bucks for the top of the line race oil. Any regular grade two stroke oil will do.

Look at the can carefully. Some "2 stroke oil" is for gearboxes and it's something like 75/80 or 90 wt. That goes in the trans. Oil that has a list of ratios on the back to pre-mix is probably too thick. the one you want says something about injectors and low ash formula, low smoke and such like marketing hype.
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Suzuki CCI for me in all my 2 stroke bikes, even the Yamaha. I like it, doesn't foul plugs. Have had good luck with it and been using it for 35 years. FWIW.
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp

Post by Wayne Meuir »

BUT! Maxima 927 Castor Oil Smells so GOOOOOD!

Wayne
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

Yeah castor smells good but did you ever see what it does to a motor? One of the PE175's I had was using some kind of castor oil, the rings were about stuck, I had to take a razor blade and scrape them and the groove, the stinger part of the pipe was crapped up about 50%, I had to burn the pipe out. It made the hardest carbon on top of the piston and head I've ever seen.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp

Post by Wayne Meuir »

YEP, but it still smells good!

Would not use it in anything I did not intend to rebuild very often, but we used it in KT100 Kart motors that were spinning 15000 RPM's EVERY lap and they stayed together quite well. Gunked up the rings pretty good tho.

Wayne
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I run the same stuff as Barry...Pennzoil Semi-synthetic outboard oil. Cheap, not a lot of smoke, no problems.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Calgary Canada isnt a place where you can easily get all types of speciality oils so freely.
I am using the Shell snow ultra 2stroke oil designed for snowmobiles and cold weather running blah blah.
At around $40.00 CAN a gallon from H2Ricks favourite store Cambodian tyre, it isnt exactly cheap.
It burns really clean though and has the pipe ends nice and dry to the point they almost look 4 stroke clean.
Plugs look dry and with a good balanced tan colour too so its not leaving any layer residue that i can see.
After the near 2000 mile trip last year the bike actually ran better than prior to how it was working when i bought it.
The main reason im thinking is it just needs some regular 'high speed' exercising with a clean burning oil to help clear all the old things out.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Sled oil is a special formulation that is still able to run at very low temperatures which makes it a little thin for normal street use in warmer climes. Typically they are good oils because they are designed to work at very high revs and load.

And you are spot on about engines needing a good hard run from time to time. that includes your car/tuck/van. If it spends all its time at small throttle openings and low revs, it will run much better after a hard blast to blow out the carbon.
frappy
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500M, T250-II, GT750J

Post by frappy »

Neither of my local Suzuki dealerships stock the CCI oil. The tell me they can only order it by the case, but I'd have to buy the whole case myself 'cause nobody else seems to wants it! I'd sure like to find some and use it. Don't know what's in my oil tank now, but its ugly brown.
'75 - T500M
'72 - GT750J
'70 - T250-II