Locking injection pump to one setting

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

falcon
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, CB200

Locking injection pump to one setting

Post by falcon »

I'm curious to hear what some of you guys are doing in regards to your pumps. I've read a few people have locked them to a specific setting, whereas others set them as per the factory to inject more/less based on throttle pos. Just like oil type, I'm sure there are different opinions on this but I'd like to hear both sides. I'm considering locking it and premixing in the tank, since it seems like it would be lagging anyways. A quick crack of the throttle to inject more oil but then by the time it gets to the motor you're in a different throttle position. How fast to these pumps "pump"?

My bike is just a little T250 but I ride fairly hard and don't plan to putt around like a grandma. For those of you who set it and forget it, where abouts do you lock it? Low injection or lots of injection?
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Locking injection pump to one setting

Post by tz375 »

There are two camps here. Keep the stock pump and those who want to modify their cranks and cases to run without a pump.

The only people that I know of that did both were the factory back in 72 because there is no easy way to lubricate the cranks and it's a PIA to modify everything. On the track at high RPM all the time, pre-mix is an acceptable approach but on the street where there is such a variety or throttle/load/rpm conditions, a pump is better.

I would not try to out think the factory engineers on this one. If the pump and lines are good, just keep them.
falcon
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, CB200

Post by falcon »

I wasn't really considering removing it, just setting it to a fixed setting. The justification that I read was that modern oils lubricate better and there isn't the need to run as much as they did back in the 70's.

Would you suggest just adjusting it as per the manual and just forgetting about it? Ideally this would be the best solution for me since I like when things just "work" without the need for fiddling after initial set up.

-Aaron
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

falcon wrote:I wasn't really considering removing it, just setting it to a fixed setting. The justification that I read was that modern oils lubricate better and there isn't the need to run as much as they did back in the 70's.

Would you suggest just adjusting it as per the manual and just forgetting about it? Ideally this would be the best solution for me since I like when things just "work" without the need for fiddling after initial set up.

-Aaron
Hi,factory knows best!! Suzuki's Posi-Force/CCI systems the best out of all of the Japanese Manufactures as to how their pumps operate & where the oil is directed. DO NOT run a combination of oil in the petrol tank & the pump,screws things up!,Rely on the pump,they very rarely play up,I've heard of a few issues where the one way valves in the end of the line,can stick open & allow two stroke to leak slowly over time into the crankcases,this can happen in rare cases with bikes not being used.As the pumps wear,modern two stroke oil can also flow past the pump & into the lines,over a very prolonged period of time,this could cause an "hydraulic lock" result could be a bent connecting rod if you try & start the bike with a crankcase full of two stroke oil? :cry: If you think there is a problem, (remove the SRIS valves at the front of the motor on the GT Triples) spark plugs & use electric starter/kick starter to pump things dry. 8)
Cheers,
GT750Battleship.
GT750Battleship.