GT500 Broken Oil Line/hose, need replacement options/ideas

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Nicholas
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT500, SR500, BMW R80, BMW R100S

GT500 Broken Oil Line/hose, need replacement options/ideas

Post by Nicholas »

Hi All,
One of my oil pump lines has broken from my GT500, and it seems that NOS replacements are no longer available/easy to find.

I've been searching for:
16820-15033 (13), 16840-15033 (14), 16810-15131 (10), my #14 line is broken.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/gt500 ... arts85.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I might be able to repair mine, but I was thinking that perhaps it might be easy to just create one from new parts.

Anyone done this before and or can recommend the bill of materials to do this?

I am not with my bike, but I do recall the tubes had narrow inner diameters...I am not sure I'll be able to match these...but is the pressure important? i.e. if I used larger inner diameters then the pressure would drop...or would it? :wth:

Any advice or links to places where new ones can be bought would be most appreciated! :up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nicholas
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT500, SR500, BMW R80, BMW R100S

Re: GT500 Broken Oil Line/hose, need replacement options/ide

Post by Nicholas »

I looked into making my own lines and thought I would share....

Now, if the banjo fittings can be salvaged then you can get by with using some new tubing and fittings. I have found that mountain bike disc brake banjo fittings come in the smaller M6 bolt sizes and so there are plenty of options here...

The trouble is finding the right check valve and pressure relief. :? I haven't spent time looking into if pressures are different from a pump perspective, so if someone has insight please share. I am assuming that the pressures will be standard across two stroke check valves and going out on a limb to think that you could use something from a Yamaha... :wth:

The following part number is for a inline nozzle fitting from an RD350 that seems to still be available via ebay and some stores.
353-13572-09-00

The following describes the GT500 oil lines
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/1977_GT ... l#Oil_Pump" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this analyses the check valve pressure for a Kawasaki, but I think it is similar to the Suzuki one.
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/checkvalves.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has more information on the subject please share as I am sure there will be others who will benefit from this topic. Would be good to collect a list of suitable tubes, seals and bolts.
citizenbanana
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75' T500 73' TS185

Re: GT500 Broken Oil Line/hose, need replacement options/ideas

Post by citizenbanana »

Hi, Realize its an old thread but how did you make out? Have a similar issue...Can't find #14 replacement. Cheers
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

i use this. 4mm o.d. i've build oil lines for my gt250 and these are the same sized tubing :up:
cheers, dd.

4mm clear:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRIC-IMPER ... SwxH1T46A8
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
gammakeith
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1966 T20

Post by gammakeith »

As Dollydog says there is no need to use rigid fuel lines. Pretty much all 80's bikes use flexible pipe and the design of the pumps is pretty much unchanged. As well as Nylon, you can also use the Tygon tubing used by model makers for fuel lines. It has thick walls, a small bore and is much more flexible than Nylon. It seems sensible to select tubing that will be close to the original bore though unless its too outrageously different it should not make any difference to a positive displacement pump. Most RG500 owners have switched to Tygon along with in-line Yamaha check valves (the originals in the carburettors fail). When I got it, my T20 had been modified to use flexible hose but it was in a right state so I switched to Tygon lines. I had to use some minature tubing adapters connecting to larger Tygon tubing stubs to fit the spigots. The original Suzuki check valves (part of the bolts into the crankcase) feel like they have a much higher "crack" pressure than the more modern Yamaha valves with a "blow" test so I don't see the pumps struggling with anyone using those for a conversion.

Keith
1927 Scott 3 Speed Super Squirrel
1948 Scott Flying Squirrel
1951 Cyclemaster
1966 Suzuki T20
1981 Montesa 349
1985 Suzuki RG500
1999 Honda CRM250AR
Definately NO 4 strokes :-)
citizenbanana
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75' T500 73' TS185

Post by citizenbanana »

Thanks guys!
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Do you have the part number for those modern Yamaha check valves? Or aftermarket source?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
MalkyB
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500A 1976

Post by MalkyB »

Hi guys. I find myself in a similar situation. I can see the flexible nylon tubes on eBay but how can I connect the tubes to the valves either end - will the push-fit connectors work...???