Need help

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Lemans
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750M, RE5, ROCKET 3

Need help

Post by Lemans »

Guys I have just purchased a 1975 GT750M and the bike seems in good shape with a few issues:
(Looking for some pointers, preferably a mentor)
1) Did not have a horn (purchased used Nippon Denso original horn but need to know how to wire it, also the bracket does not seem like T bracket shown in schematic, only has one hole/bolt to attach to fork frame?)
2) Air filter missing, hoses from airbox to carb have shrunk and too short to properly attach to carbs - ordered new hoses, clamps and air filter - should arrive this week
3) Neutral switch does not work
4) Gear indicator always shows "2"
5) Front brake switch does not illuminate tail light
6) Middle carb seems to be leaking gas from attaching hose that goes to airbox?
7) Did not have center stand - purchased used center stand with mounting hardware but LHS mount for center stand broken from frame (outer leaf)! Any ideas?
8) RHS control switch assembly does not work (engine start, run/kill) previous owner had jerry rigged external starting switch to bike - have purchased replacement switch but need tips on how to wire
9) LHS turn signal switch broken, previous owner has jerry rigged external turn signal switch with modified bracket - any options to repair original turn signal switch? Light switches work
10) Does not have original seat, has home made seat that sits on frame and can be lifted off - any cost effective options for original seat replacement?
11) Turn indicators are not original (any options?)
12)Tachometer assembly works but is dented with cracked glass
13) Fork ears that hold headlamp do not seem original to bike

Everything else seems original. Which engine oil to use and which 2T oil to use?

Basically what to look for to ensure engine is strong before putting any more money in bike? Have ridden 50 miles, starts easy and bike runs strong and idles at 1200 rpm, stays cool (right under half way point on temp gauge).
When parked seems to be leaking burnt black oil from LHS side stand location under outer sprocket cover and also some golden oil? Any ideas on source of leak? Is this oil from exhaust or SRIS system? Gearbox oil smells good and looks good.

Would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,
Buck
kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Re: Need help

Post by kettle kid »

Lemans wrote:Guys I have just purchased a 1975 GT750M and the bike seems in good shape with a few issues:
(Looking for some pointers, preferably a mentor)
1) Did not have a horn (purchased used Nippon Denso original horn but need to know how to wire it, also the bracket does not seem like T bracket shown in schematic, only has one hole/bolt to attach to fork frame?)
2) Air filter missing, hoses from airbox to carb have shrunk and too short to properly attach to carbs - ordered new hoses, clamps and air filter - should arrive this week
3) Neutral switch does not work
4) Gear indicator always shows "2"
5) Front brake switch does not illuminate tail light
6) Middle carb seems to be leaking gas from attaching hose that goes to airbox?
7) Did not have center stand - purchased used center stand with mounting hardware but LHS mount for center stand broken from frame (outer leaf)! Any ideas?
8) RHS control switch assembly does not work (engine start, run/kill) previous owner had jerry rigged external starting switch to bike - have purchased replacement switch but need tips on how to wire
9) LHS turn signal switch broken, previous owner has jerry rigged external turn signal switch with modified bracket - any options to repair original turn signal switch? Light switches work
10) Does not have original seat, has home made seat that sits on frame and can be lifted off - any cost effective options for original seat replacement?
11) Turn indicators are not original (any options?)
12)Tachometer assembly works but is dented with cracked glass
13) Fork ears that hold headlamp do not seem original to bike

Everything else seems original. Which engine oil to use and which 2T oil to use?

Basically what to look for to ensure engine is strong before putting any more money in bike? Have ridden 50 miles, starts easy and bike runs strong and idles at 1200 rpm, stays cool (right under half way point on temp gauge).
When parked seems to be leaking burnt black oil from LHS side stand location under outer sprocket cover and also some golden oil? Any ideas on source of leak? Is this oil from exhaust or SRIS system? Gearbox oil smells good and looks good.

Would really appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,
Buck
Hi buck.
(1 ) 8) RHS control switch assembly does not work (engine start, run/kill) previous owner had jerry rigged external starting switch to bike .

Is it a new switch or used? If used, it needs a good clean out.
See my post here. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2 ) 9) LHS turn signal switch broken, previous owner has jerry rigged external turn signal switch with modified bracket - any options to repair original turn signal switch? Look for a used one, i have switches for sale, or i could make you one up from my spairs box, or ebay.

If it's one with a pass button, there's no hope of repair, as the plastic block brakes off, on thee pass. and there's no new part from suzuki, as they dident do it as a spair part. the L/R switch slide, has a small ball, that gets stuck, with dirt and old greese, then gos out of shape. Pass You will have to get one from another switch.

(3) 11) Turn indicators are not original (any options?)
Get a used switch, or new, or i have some refurbed one's.
Thanks K.K.
RING_DING
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT750 B-4 (JDM), 1975 GT750M

Post by RING_DING »

Hi Buck,
Congrats on your purchase. You have come to the right forum for help! I have two M's and the advice & help I got here was amazing.
eBay is a great source for used parts that aren't made by Suzuki any more, but watch out for rip-off prices on stuff that you can still get from Suzuki.
There's also a For Sale/Wanted section here. You never know if a fellow member has what you need.
Regarding your oil leak, if you can trace it to the breather vent on the water pump cover, your water pump seals may need attention.
Get yourself a Haynes manual...there are some still available in the UK on eBay. It is invaluable if you want to work on the bike yourself.
There are posts galore on what type of oil to use. I use 80W Gear Oil in the gearbox and either Belray or Suzuki CCI 2T for the CCI system.
Good luck!
PS: where in the US are you?
1973 Suzuki GT750K with Sidecar - Bonneville 2020
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

Guys,

Thanks for the help and support. I live in Des Moines, Iowa.
I put the outer sprocket cover back on and the leak seems to have stopped. Maybe it was chain oil?
Like I said previously I have acquired a original horn, but it's missing the T bracket that attaches to the horn with a single bolt and to the forks with 2 bolts. Any sources available for the horn bracket?
Also any thoughts on the seat or what I should do first?
A picture of the bike is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

How do you tell if the engine is original to the frame by the engine and frame number?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Lemans wrote:How do you tell if the engine is original to the frame by the engine and frame number?
Several sources - I happen to like this one:

http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/fieldgu ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

The bike needs some work if you wish to bring it back to a stock look but at least most of it is there.
A few items to consider including your seat question::
If you wish to tackle the seat first go to abay and try looking for one with a decent base, sponge and chrome strip but has a torn or ripped cover.These will run you about $50.00 to $100.00 in this condition.
You can then buy a replica cover for about $70.00 from sellers on ebay like pitreplica.
This way you can get a decent used seat you can restore/recover for under $200.00 which is way cheaper than buying a new one at close to $400.00.
For the correct style of indicators Repros are available on ebay from seller Z900 parts for about $60.00 a pair and are of excellent quality.
Your bike has on the hard to find 72 J model alternator cover, if you polish it up and sell it on ebay you can make a fair bit of money from its sale, (around $150.00)
Doing this will allow you to buy the correct type used cover for your model (around $50.00) and still have money left over from the sale to fund other updates.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

Purchased used stator cover to match correct year. Pic posted below. Is this correct for a 1975 GT750M Lemans? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Lemans wrote:Purchased used stator cover to match correct year. Pic posted below. Is this correct for a 1975 GT750M Lemans? Thanks.
That's the one ! As Allan mentioned, if you polish up the J style one that was on there, you should be able to get a decent amount for it. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

My Suzuki dealer only has Kawasaki 2 stroke semi synthetic oil. They stopped making the Suzuki CCI oil. Any recommendations on whether this oil is any good? Thanks.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Oh no. Here we go again :? :lol: :lol:

That oil should be fine if it says it is for injectors. Pre-mix oil is typically too thick to pump. any modern oil will work and we all have our preferences. I like MOTUL or Silkolene (http://www.Silkolenestore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . Avoid PWC (boat) oil and snowmobile oil. Low ash low smoke semi synthetics are good.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Seeing the alternator cover that you have there has me intrigued ... What sort of points cover do you have on the other side???? If that's a 72 cover PM me please :ssh:
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

I will post a pic this evening. If you replace the alternator/stator cover do you have to allow for any oil leaking after the cover is removed or is it a dry swap? Thanks.
Lemans
Around the block

Post by Lemans »

@MikeH1A - The points cover is not embossed and has a Suzuki sticker on it in an indentation. It is not a 72J cover. Thanks.
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Appreciate you looking. Thanks
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A