Oil GtT380 - ????

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jhood
On the street

Oil GtT380 - ????

Post by jhood »

Here goes. I just started my '72 GT380 after about a 30 year nap and a complete restoration and I was so thrilled. When I went to put it in gear, no such luck, the shifting arm had jumped out of place so I had to take the clutch cover back off to discover that was indeed my problem. Upon starting it, it ran for about a total of 5 minutes. I had used Castrol Oil and upon draining it, it was the color of the Yama Lube that I used in my oil tank. I had the crank completely rebuilt by Bill Bune in MN with seals and bearings.

Does anyone have any idea why the transmission oil would discolor in that short of a time period?

Thanks,
John
jhood
On the street

Re: Oil GtT380 - ????

Post by jhood »

Ok, I have a theory that might be causing this problem. I think that the CCI return valve (SRIS Check valve) might be stopped up and that the oil pump is pumping the right crank full of oil and it is blowing the excess oil out the right crank seal back into the transmission case. I have taken it off and actually cleaned some junk out of it and it seems to function properly now. I also cleaned out the hole that it goes into to hopefully have it all cleaned out.

I hope this solves my problem because I've just fixed a shifter problem, cluch cover oil leak issue and the plastic cam gear issue. If this doesn't fix my oil problem, looks like a complete tear down to figure out the problem. Wish me luck.

John
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Did you ever track down the problem John ?
the older i get the faster i was
jhood
On the street

Post by jhood »

I think I am ok. What I think happened is that the crack got too full of oil before and during initial startup. On the right hand crank there is a galley way between the right crank and the clutch cover area. I think it is the overflow from the crank area to take care of an overfilling of oil in the crank area. Seems to run pretty good. Still has a bit of a timing issue or carb issue, but starts pretty easily and runs good at low to moderate speeds. A few bugs to still work out. Wish me luck.

Thanks.
jhood
On the street

Post by jhood »

I think I am ok. What I think happened is that the crack got too full of oil before and during initial startup. On the right hand crank there is a galley way between the right crank and the clutch cover area. I think it is the overflow from the crank area to take care of an overfilling of oil in the crank area. Seems to run pretty good. Still has a bit of a timing issue or carb issue, but starts pretty easily and runs good at low to moderate speeds. A few bugs to still work out. Wish me luck.

Thanks.