Injector Oil...what would you do?

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Smokeman
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, RG200

Injector Oil...what would you do?

Post by Smokeman »

Ok, I bought a 1972 GT550 last September. The previous owner had the bike for a very short period of time and knew very little about the bike's maintenance or history. When I asked what type of injector oil he had been running in the bike he "couldn't remember"...ugh! The oil is dark green in color and has no distinct smell/odor. Based on the color and lack of smell I don't think it is a bean/castor oil.

My question is not intented to start an "oil war"...my personal preference is to run a synthetic blend...I am leary of just dumping the oil and filling the tank with an oil that might quite different than the current oil in the lines. I've had many two-stroke bikes over the years...just never bought one from someone who couldn't remember what kind of oil was in it.

What would you do? Thanks in advance for your help and/or thoughts.
Cliff
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Original owner GT550L

Re: Injector Oil...what would you do?

Post by Cliff »

You could remove the oil pump and with an oil can pump some fresh oil through the lines. Install the pump, drain and refill the oil tank with fresh oil, bleed the pump and you're good to go!
But, the amount of old oil in the lines and pump right now is probably nothing to worry about. If there is any damage done to the engine from the old oil, it's already been done. I would just drain the tank and refill it with a good quality oil.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

+1 :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Smokeman
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, RG200

Post by Smokeman »

Thanks. Looking forward to getting this bike on the road. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Scorch
Born to ride
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT380

Post by Scorch »

Cliff wrote:You could remove the oil pump and with an oil can pump some fresh oil through the lines. Install the pump, drain and refill the oil tank with fresh oil, bleed the pump and you're good to go!
But, the amount of old oil in the lines and pump right now is probably nothing to worry about. If there is any damage done to the engine from the old oil, it's already been done. I would just drain the tank and refill it with a good quality oil.
I agree with this. I am not an oil expert. But I have not seen anything to lead me to believe it is super critical to switch. But hey, I'm the guy who started my 380 and ran it 20 minutes with the oil pump disengaged, and it suffered no ill-effects :lol:
Suzuki: '18 V-Strom 1000, '75 GT380, '85 Madura 1200
ericsattic
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Now T500, previous TS185, GS750, GS1000

Post by ericsattic »

I am kinda late to this thread, and for what it's worth, I bought a few quarts of some NOS "vintage" AMSOIL synthetic two cycle injector oil some months ago. It's green in color and does not have a strong odor...
1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1970 Suzuki T500 Mark III [rebuild project]
1970 Kawasaki 500 Mach III - H1
1975 Kawasaki 750 Mach IV - H2
1970 Yamaha R5 350
1984 Yamaha RZ350L [acquired September 2015]
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

It's an old thread and whatever was going to happen probably already did.

I can't remember too many Green bean oils and they do have a distinctive aroma, but better safe than sorry. Most oils mix OK but it's safer to dump oil (safely of course) than to risk a blow up. In reality, if it hadn't started to gel, it was probably OK to use.