Crank Oil

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

fregado
On the street

Crank Oil

Post by fregado »

What is the recomended oil for a 1974 GT750? Also, how much oil does the crank take?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Crank Oil

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Well ............. you will not get a single recommended oil from the members of this board, as the opinions are more varied than the weather. :wth: However, take a look at this thread as well as this thread for some input and options.

The gear box holds 2.2 l of whatever oil you decide to go with - just fill till the oil comes out of the overflow with the bike on its centre stand and on a level surface..

Hope that helps. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
fregado
On the street

Post by fregado »

Almost get the feeling by the varied posts that if it's slick, it will work.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

fregado wrote:Almost get the feeling by the varied posts that if it's slick, it will work.
Not exactly.

H2RICK, who never has an opinion about anything :shock: wrote a very good article on the topic which you can find by clicking here. My 2 cents worth - I'd stay away from oils that have anti-friction additives as that is not what you want with a wet clutch, and also stay away from anything too light as that will not be good for the gear faces. Apart from that, pretty much any oil you can buy today is light years ahead of what was available 35 years ago. Read through the posts I listed above, see which brands are offered in your area, consider what sort of use you plan (racing or Sunday driver) and you should be fine. 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !