Oil Wars

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

CaptCatFish
On the street

Oil Wars

Post by CaptCatFish »

As a newbie to the Forum, I really don't want to start an argument here about what oil to use in my 1972 Titan T500. However, I noticed several members recommend Pennzoil semi-synthetic or full synthetic outboard motor oil in their bikes. I was surprised at this since obviously outboard engines have the benefit of water cooling while our vintage two strokes do not.

Its especially important to me since I'm in the middle of a complete teardown, inner crankshaft seal replacement and new top end on my Titan. When its finally finished and fired up, I'd like to use a readily available oil that provides maximum protection at the most reasonable cost. I live in a remote area (near Deal's Gap) so the option of using an exotic oil vs something like the Pennzoil synthetic is appealing because of cost and availability.

Anybody got strongly held opinions about using the Pennzoil synthetic outboard oil in an air cooled Suzuki? I'd love to hear more testimonials from the guys and gals who have used it for years.

Best to all. I look forward to participating in this Forum. Its the best I've found.........

CaptCatFish
1972 Suzuki T500; 1990 Suzuki DR350; 1967 Chevy Stepside
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Oil Wars

Post by tz375 »

Welcome aboard Captain.

You have done it now. One of two things will happen. Either this thread will become a mile long argument or everyone will stay low and try to avoid becoming collateral damage.

The short answer is that our old bikes don't need the latest high zoot million dollar oils. They ran fine on motor oil back in the day, but that doesn't mean we should still do that either. Almost any two stroke oil will work but try to stay away from oils designed for outboards or snowmobiles. Neither is suitable because of the way that they are formulated.

As a get home solution, no worries, but as a regular tank fill, get a good low ash low smoke two stroke oil. Any of the on line stores can have a case of oil delivered to your door. Or just get a couple of bottles of motorcycle two stroke oil when you visit the nearest large town. Any dealer should have two stroke oil - apart from HD of course.
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

A lot of us are running Water Buffalos that are watercooled 2 strokes, I use the Pennzoil semi synthetic in mine and have for 10,000 miles, works great. Don't use PWC oil, Walmart's here have Castrol 2 stroke oil and Havoline as well as Pennzoil in 2 or 3 varieties, I think one of them is for general purpose 2 strokes like saws and such, outdoor equipment.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Iam using Pennzoil full synthetic from Wal-Mart. Almost 6000 miles on it so far. Seems to smoke less and run cleaner, also on the same plugs too. Ran it during our 100+ degree heat wave with no problems. To avoid a 'oil war', everyone just take the comments with a grain of salt. Each person will have a different experience even if we all had the same model of bike.
CaptCatFish
On the street

Post by CaptCatFish »

I sure wish the old castrol "bean oil" wasn't so dirty and could be used in an injector system. If so, I would probably never ride the bike, just sit in the shop while it was idling and day dream about times gone by.........

Back to the present, I guess I'll just use the Golden Specter 2-Stroke Oil that I can buy locally or order some really kool stuff off the net per suggestion.

Thanks Everybody

CaptCatFish
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Just a thought. I would be tempted to go with a good conventional petroleum based oil for the first tankful, just to give your new rings a bit of a chance to seat into the new bore. The synthetics are more slippery, and rings take longer to seat in. Just about any available two-stroke oil is far better than stuff from when the bike was designed and built. Your bearings and such, will love the synthetics right from the start, it's just the mating surfaces I'm thinking of. Like I said, just a thought, or maybe a dilemma. Dam these oil forums! Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
CaptCatFish
On the street

Post by CaptCatFish »

I had not thought about that but you are right. With a new bore to 1mm oversize, my T-500 would probably settle in much sooner with dino oil for awhile, then switching to synthetic 2-stroke injector oil.

My original plan was to use pre-mix synthetic plus the (same type) injector oil but your suggestion makes more sense.

Thanks!

CaptCatFish
crash277
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, RSV1000r, CBR600F4i

Post by crash277 »

i always break in a motor with dyno oil. then switch to synthetic. has worked great on all my stuff. only motor i didnt do that with was a lawn mower i rebuilt, only because i didnt have any dino oil when i was done so i put synthetic in it and its still being used.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

When the first Fireblade came out (CBR900RR) they found a wide variance in power. It turned out that all the bikes with lower power were run from the get go on Synthetic oil and they never made as much power as those bedded in on old style oil.

It seems that the high film strength stops rings and bores from bedding in properly. OK to use it after it's bedded in, but not in a fresh motor.