No oil in the lines.

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

KEEF27
On the street

No oil in the lines.

Post by KEEF27 »

I have no oil flow in the right side lines of my T500. The left side seems to be flowing fine. I checked the banjo bolts and washers. They seem to be in good shape. When the engine is running, I can see small beads of oil dancing back and forth in the lines. The oil runs out of the pump and into the part where the line split in two. It seems that the left side of the "Y" has more suction, and draws the oil from the right side. Once the air reaches the left side it goes up and into the engine, and the 2 lines have no oil.My friend said when he owned an RD 80, he poured in the right amount of 2 cycle right into a full tank of gas, and disconnected the oil pump. Sounds sketchy. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I'm not familiar with the 500 and stay away from then since one tried to kill me in 1968/9...

But, it sounds like blocked check valves. try to force WD40 through them at low pressure and then test them each way with a mityvac. if I recall , they should blow off in the feed direction at about 2-4 psi and should stay closed in the reverse direction.
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

oil

Post by rbond »

Do not use pre-mix only. The crank bearings have a splash plate that will effectively block most of the premix from reaching the bearings. That injector has a line that directly feeds those bearings and the other the intake to spray on the cylinders /pistons. Start at the beginning and disassemble the pump to make sure it is clean. There is a post here that shows that procedure and has excellent pictures of the internals and theory of operation so you will understand how it works. Then check the plastic oil lines to the engine. If you find some crud in the pump, take out the strainer at the oil tank bottom and clean it, replace the filter if torn, etc. so you won't have a blown up engine in the middle of nowhere. The pumps are very reliable, so stick with it....
mnellis
Around the block

Re: No oil in the lines.

Post by mnellis »

I had the same problem recently with my left lines. I ended up going to the auto parts store and buying one of those old style oil cans. I got the one with the cone shaped tip. I then removed the oil line from the pump and installed the banjo bolt with the washers and a nut. I then squirted some 2 stroke oil into the banjo bolt and watched the oil flow all the way to the cylinder. I then installed the oil line back to the pump and started the motor.

Don't squirt to much after the line fill or else it will smoke like crazy (like mine did). After that, the oil seemed to flow fine.

In my mind, based on the design of the pump, I shouldn't have had to do this but it worked so I'm happy.
Mike Nellis

CMRA #23 Expert
'75 T500
'68 Honda CL350
'70 Honda CB450
'75 Honda GL1000
'04 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (racebike)
'00 Yamaha YZ426
'01 Yamaha Raptor 660
'85 Honda 250 Big Red
RV-6 Kit Airplane