Good Ol' Castrol.

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

spike
On the main road

Good Ol' Castrol.

Post by spike »

I've come to my conclusions on this whole oil business and used the cheapest semi-stuff which I could get from the service station close by.

The bike was smoking a fair bit and the exhausts were getting oily and spluttery… no standing behind them with the bike running.

Last week I was in a supermarket and spotted a bottle of Castrol TTS. AAah them good ol' days of stinking up the town with my scooter. So I coughed up the 24 CHF and put it in my trusty steed. A 1977 Yamaha RD400. :oops:

You know what? I barely smokes, the bike deffo feels happier and I'm not spraying oil anymore :?
And it smells like a two-stroke! :lol:

The specs on the bottles of the two oils are exactly the same… looks like i will be using more of the TTS. A large chunk of of my thinking is now shattered to bits. :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
argo1974
To the on ramp

Post by argo1974 »

spike, TTS is fully synthetic oil for high perfomance street engines. It has lots of additives which make it less smoky and provide better antiwear performance.
But in my opinion the only way to go saving these old smokers for the future.
I buy always 2 boxes, so I can get dealer price (40% cheaper + Castrol's sweets).

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/bfqr-1-jpg.html
1x T500 Cobra (1968)
4x T500K (1973)
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Re: Good Ol' Castrol.

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Spike i'm not going to start an oil debate but i will tell you this. Over the last few years i have been noticing that my A Buffalo is running much better as i pile the miles onto it.
Compared to about 6,000 miles ago when i first bought it, the engine is now running smoother, faster, and smokes a lot less.
The pipes also have a crisper and lighter sounding note to them which I put down to carbon being slowly burnt away inside, and to verify this I removed them and looked inside the headers and exhaust ports recently to find the walls scoured of the carbon scale that was once in there.
It must be the road trips out to Vancouver where riding at 60 to 80 mph all day and high speed overtaking has done something to the exhausts.
All I have done is clean the baffles and use the Shell snow ultra synthetic oil with the pump lever fully backed off.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
crash277
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, RSV1000r, CBR600F4i

Post by crash277 »

ive been sold on amsoil for 2 strokes ever since a buddy gave me a bottle for my old YZ250. i used to run whatever the gas station had kinda oil premixed. used to carry a plug with me, and i changed it often. after switching to the amsoil, i used 1 plug an entire summer.
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

I have been using Pennzoil full synthetic and am still running the same plugs (4 years, 7,000 miles) on a GT500.