Archived Posts

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Welcome Bri, I'm pretty new here too. I'm right down in Long Beach. I didn't know anything about these bikes before I found this place. Just from asking questions and searching old posts I've been able to set my timing (which was way off), jet and tune my carbs (which were also way off). I'm still tweaking the carbs. I've even gotten hard to find parts from guys on here. I don't know of any 2-stroke shops, but I always pass a Motoguzzi shop on my way to work and they have a bunch of old bikes in there. I'm pretty sure I saw a Suzuki. I was going to ask them if they work on 2-strokes but I've always been able to fix the issue from the advice on the forum.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Thanks guys, i will see what i can do with this info and get back at you later if i need more help.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

oil

Post by Admin »

I put in as close to factory recommended 20w-40 with 15w-40 and I noticed it is a little harder to kick in cold weather. Would it not be even harder with the gear oil in the tranny and make the clutch stick a lot until it got really warm to hot for it to work properly. Also, since it is thicker than regular oil, would it also hurt gas mileage? Just something to go hmmmmm.........
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The cheapest I can find around my town is Valvoline GL-5 (80W-90) rated gear oil. I'm guessing from the above this will suffice in the T500? Will it also be ok for my temperamental (emphasis on the mental bit :grin: ) H1A. I'm thinking it'd be cheaper to run the one oil in both bikes.
Ta, Mike
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Re: oil

Post by Admin »

rbond wrote:I put in as close to factory recommended 20w-40 with 15w-40 and I noticed it is a little harder to kick in cold weather. Would it not be even harder with the gear oil in the tranny and make the clutch stick a lot until it got really warm to hot for it to work properly. Also, since it is thicker than regular oil, would it also hurt gas mileage? Just something to go hmmmmm.........
The gear oil is rated different as the 80~90 gear oil is equal to the 20~40 engine oil .
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

80W90 will be fine.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Interesting article

Post by Admin »

On two stroke mix ratios, courtesy of Bridgestone and someone here's ol' pal, Gordon Jennings. The results are more interesting than the author, and seem pretty solid, after what I've read from some here, could it be a foregone conclusion based on the authors views, or the testing that led to them? You decide.......... :)

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/do ... remix6.pdf
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

NO, NO, not that article once again.... I see flames and ruins in the next future :bwall:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ahhhhh, so it's made the rounds before? Wasn't aware. Found it bopping around looking for something else.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Christ yes, Tuner is gonna flip. Two things that are verboten here: Gordon Jennings and Pertronix. Flame fest and rants ahead.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

That isn't the only article to document the same thing. The results are valid, if not necessarily the whole story.

Other researchers have found that less is not more when it comes to pre-mix ratios. So let's not ignore something just because Tuner thinks that Jennings was a dingbat.

I have not seen anyone slam what he said in his book, though 2 stroke tuning has come a long way since then.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

i do know this about premix two strokes, my old 89 YZ250 was 24:1 i believe, and i ran amsoil 50:1 mixed at 50:1 and it only smoked when it was cold and the plugs looked awesome. on regular oil mixed 24:1 it smoked most of the time and regularly fouled plugs. i must agree that technology has improved. 2 stroke oil quite a bit.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Quick! MODERATOR!!! Change the thread title before Tuner shows up!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I haven't seen that article before so I read it.

Now, did I just waste my time or what is the train of thought here? I take it to run as is recommended and all is well and not to use Castrol oil.
vince69007

i do know this about premix two strokes, my old 89 YZ250 was 24:1 i believe, and i ran amsoil 50:1 mixed at 50:1 and it only smoked when it was cold and the plugs looked awesome. on regular oil mixed 24:1 it smoked most of the time and regularly fouled plugs.

If you have oil from a company who recommends a 50-1 do you run 50-1 over what the mfg, recommends for their motor?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

There are soooo many variables. More oil will definitely lean out the mixture, and up to a point probably give you a little boost. But cross the line of safety (which varies wildly from bike-to-bike, and oil-to-oil), and you're going to break something.

I have run bikes with modern oils that recommend 50:1....at 50:1 in old engines that had a recommended mixture of 20:1. Some oils, like Spectro pre-mix, are concentrated. I ran Spectro at 50:1 in my H2 without problems.

I'm debating which oil and how much to run in my RMX right now. I think I will run the same semi-synth Penzzoil as in my other bikes at 32:1 as a starting point. I really think 20:1 will be excessive, but it's a toss-up.

Lane