Archived Posts

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Tuner,

I don't know when / where Gordon Jennings advocated the use of a gas:oil ratio of 4:1, but it wasn't in this article about oil.

FWIW,

Dale
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hall wrote:Yes, Things have changed!! I would like to get an opinion or two on what some of youse would use this day and age as mix ratio and oil type in a 78 IT 400 and a 79 Frontera?? The IT manual calls for 20:1 and the Bul book calls for 25:1. Use of these bikes if for put-put rather than all out.

Also, on a GT550, what about straight synthetic (10-30) vs. CCI, since the cost is about the same??? Thanks, Ed :oops:

I would run both bikes at about 32:1. With a full synthetic, you could go 50:1. If you want to run synthetic oil in your 550 tank, it'll be fine. I run semi-synthetic Pennzoil Outboard oil in all of mine.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Constantly in his magazine artricles on "tuning" Mark Homchick's AMA TZ250 into fouled plugs, DNF's and slowness.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

check valves

Post by Admin »

ok so here is today's question
below is a picture of my oil line bolt's, i have read many threads about check valves and i was wondering this, are the check valves in the bolt? should there be a spring and bearing in there? or have i misunderstood this. i ask because my bolts do not have a spring and bearing in them they are just empty and im wondering if i need to find new ones.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The check valves are in the fittings that screw onto the delivery end of the oil lines.. They call them a ganjo fitting. If you unscrew the fitting there is a ball and spring in there. It is VERY small and easy to loose.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

thanks kick start, that makes sense, i was thinking that they were there but i didn't want to pull it apart to check so i thought i would ask first.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

ganjo fitting
He meant banjo fitting, Odin......
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

H2RICK wrote:
ganjo fitting
He meant banjo fitting, Odin......
Kickstart tpyes like I do. :lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

no I'm not having it its GANJO :lol: :lol: :lol:
THAT WAS FUNNY :lol: :lol:
I thought I was bad come on its me fingers :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Eevn wtih splel chcek i mkae thsoe mistkaes as wlel, it's a good thnig taht i can undrestnad waht is menat buy jsut ptuting the wrod in cotnext.

:grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Heavy Jamacian accent needed here on this one, "its a GANJA bolt ear nah mon" great now thats all straightened out finally.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Bardahl Gear oil clearance 6/1/07

Post by Admin »

All,

Just thought I would share the close-out I found at denniskirk.com:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... 906&mmyId=

It's currently $2.38 per quart....

Then again Shell's Rotella gear oil is $1.99 a quart at Walmart every day....

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Motul is a very good oil. However, if you find it difficult to locate, Castrol also has a good two stroke oil.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The article I have says that they used 16:1 in that TZ250E and that the sizures were traced to the squish band being too wide. When they corrected the squish clearance, the problems went away.

Jennings findings on more oil = more power have been supported by svereal other studies over the years. Different oils require different mixture raytios and oils have come along way since then, but last time I checked, Castrol 747 still has the highest resistance to seizure of any oil including synthetics.

Back to the original post, Motul make great oils, so do Silkolene, Putolene and a few others. For most of us in a street bike, almost any oil will do. Just avoid using premix oils in an injector system because typically they are more viscous and harder to pump.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ah...yes....Gordon's seriously disasterous squish bands, the cause of ALL Mark's DNF/DNQ's. Give it a rest, I was THERE while Gordon tuned stuff to a dead stop, including Jerry Burak "helping" Gordon to never get an Amal carb jetted right. Ity was a real hoot to watch tghem both "surmize" just why the engine blew sky high when the changed the needle jet down leaner 5 sizes at a time. We all felt sorry for Mark, especially one year when he was going around asking for someone, ANY ONE, to take over the tuning chores on his bike. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place, as both he and Gordon worked for the same magazine. We all helped Mark if we could get away with it, but mostly, you'd tgry to help, and mark would go back and relate the ideas, as his own, with Gordon shaking his head back and forth NO, NO, NO.

I used Castrol A747 fully synthetic oils, specifically designed for liquid cooled road race two stroke engines that had a rev capacity of to 14,000 rpms, at 24:1, and good quality race gas in ALL my Team Turtle bikes we ran in AFM, 5 years champions out of 5 years of racing, and top 5 riders/bikes all those 5 years, ALL TZ Yamahas, early style. Same in my TZ250 S model, and ALL of Al Salaverria's AFM and AMA race bikes, both Yamaha and Aprilia 250, along with at least 10 other AFM 250 Yamahas of all vintages, and three Honda RS250's too, and NOT ONE FAILURE FROM OILS, IN FACT, NOT ONE ENGINE FAILURE EVER, not even from "squish band murder".

Gordon had some very strangre ideas, and most didn't work, but he got them into print, as he was the "Wizard of Sea Cliff (NJ)" and worked at the magazine. NOBODY that tuned back then ran his combinations, as they were always blowing up, constantly, and I know that as a fact, I WAS THERE TO SEE IT.

I read someplace that the world was flat, and I am sure some will blindly believe that, but I see the world as it really is, a round orb, not the Gordon Jennings flat one.
Last edited by Admin on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.