Archived Posts

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Banjo bolts

Post by Admin »

I should also add that care has to be taken to notice that the 4 bolts that attach to the engine are longer than the two that attach to the oil pump outlets !!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I still use ATF in the old bikes!

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Belray 15W fork oil in all mine....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Fork oil

Post by Admin »

I think the bikes came out of the factory with some sort of fish oil crap....it was good for less than one Bass season!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Tom Garcia wrote:Belray 15W fork oil in all mine....
Smark-alek, big-spender! Belray indeed. Hmmmph. :roll: :roll:

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

rngdng wrote:
Tom Garcia wrote:Belray 15W fork oil in all mine....
Smark-alek, big-spender! Belray indeed. Hmmmph. :roll: :roll:

Lane
I used to get it for free when I worked at a dealer... :grin: :grin: :grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I could fill mine with squeezy cheese. Even after putting new seals on I can never get the oil to stay in there.
-John :lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

fabbing custom oil tank.. ( some design ?'s )

Post by Admin »

after getting my wiring sorted , and finding out what chraging system/ignition system componants i can find new, modern technology replacements for..

i want to build my own oil tank, which would have abattery box built into it, as well as a small compartment on the bottom to hide the charging unit/units ... this tank would be well oversized - eleiminating the need for sidecovers altogether, as the ends of the oil tank would be made to come out flush witht he sides of the frame..

questionis this - anyone doen soemthing like this before ? exactly what im talking about doing?

similar towhat im talking about doing?

are there any check valves ( OR ANYTHING ELSE!) contained in the original oil tank that i wouldhaave to use on my fabbed taank?

liek a check ball to keep the tank from running down into the carbs - empyting the tank into the motor, etc etc...

interested to know - because i thinkan ovesized oil tank thaat elliminates sidecovers, hides the battery, hides all the charging componantss - would really cleean thee bike up enormously - and be a real advantage for ssomeone usingtheir scoot for transportation.

i barely have to add any oil to the stock oil tank as it is right now - cant imagine what mileage a tank more than double the stock size would get between fill ups! plus, the whole sidecover eliminating thing with hiding the battery AND the charging unit/ units would be a huge improvement..

thanks for any info guys, might not have to ebay for a stock oil tank just for the purpose of disection now! Al
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

This might not solve your oil tank battery box idea but here are some custom modded 500's to get a few ideas from ... some of these may be list members . Image Image Image Image Image Image
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

John you may need to have a detailed look at your stancion shafts and the seal installation to make doubly sure youre not missing something thats causing premature failure.
In these old forks you need all the damping help you can get so use the best oil, it will give the best performance.
Bel-Ray is an excellent procuct as well as Maxim...
Admin
Supreme UFOB

fork oil concerns

Post by Admin »

Interesting commentary.... my forks are now 34 years old and have never leaked,but I must add that they still have less that 35K miles on them. The gaiters have had to be replaced,purely from semi-rubber composition failure. As for oil replacement, I followed the advice from Suzukidave and used Bel Ray 15 W for oil and the difference was like night and day.There may well be better or different suggestions but over the years Bel-Ray oils have never failed but to produce excellent results.(I expect any day now a call from them to appear in an ad) seriously though.Their stuff is seriously tested and still made in the good old USA,where quality counts........this from an ex-pat Brit! My advice is to try this suggestion,if you don't like the results you could always try Ford transmission oil and hope the seals are able to handle it.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

NAPA Premium Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid -- in my never ending attempt in trying to avoid the rip-off prices of the m/c "specialty products". :P
Ed
GT550A
'71 Commando
Bul Frontera 370
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Archived Posts

Post by Admin »

Archived