Complete 2 Stroke Engine Oil Guide

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Jaguar
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1990 AX100

Complete 2 Stroke Engine Oil Guide

Post by Jaguar »

I compiled all the info I could and when there were conflicting opinions I asked the opinion of the reps at Motul and Maxima who were very helpful.
Here's the info page: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html
And I made my own gas/oil ratio calculator that tells you what ratio to use depending on the max RPM and type of cylinder (air or water cooled). It's talked about at http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/oil2.html
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Complete 2 Stroke Engine Oil Guide

Post by Alan H »

Always nice to post an introduction before anything else. Just a bit of who, where and previous biking experience.
Other than that, welcome to the forum.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Jaguar
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1990 AX100

Re: Complete 2 Stroke Engine Oil Guide

Post by Jaguar »

My "resume" is at my other post about the free 2 stroke calculators.
I am a bit detail oriented and got into the study of engine oil and the development of a gas/oil calculator as a result of realizing the oil manufacturers basically tell us nothing and leave it to us to guess how much oil to use. It doesn't take a genius to realize the more RPM there is the more friction and heat which needs to be countered with more oil. So my calculator goes by estimated oil viscosity (going by provided data) at upper cylinder temperature, max RPM, and type of engine cooling. With your details entered in you will see the ratios recommended for each oil. It's pretty nifty.