Gt185 2-Stroke Oils

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Dan-O
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt185

Gt185 2-Stroke Oils

Post by Dan-O »

*Noob to all things 2-stroke so please be gentle.*

I've looked around and was wondering what kind of oil I should use for my 1975 Gt185 2-Stroke - both engine oil and trans. What kinds do you all use and find works best?

Thanks so much! Excited to get started!
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Gt185 2-Stroke Oils

Post by tz375 »

As I am sure you already worked out, there as many opinions on oils as there are people on this forum. I would guess that almost any oil available today is probably better than anything back in the day.

I would stay away from Friction modified oils in the transmission because they tend to cause clutch slip and avoid snowmobile and PWC oils because they are formulated to address different issues.

My preference for transmissions is Honda brand two stroke transmission oil. For the oil tank/injection, any two stroke oil designed to injection will work. Pre-mix oil is typically too thick. Yamalube is fine and so are any of the generic two stroke oils. If you are feeling flush, try Motul or Silkolene formulated for Europe where they have lots of high performance two strokes. Silkolene is available from https://www.silkolenestore.com/product- ... -2-stroke/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They have a scooter oil that should be fine. No need for race grade oils.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Gt185 2-Stroke Oils

Post by sportston »

I favour Castrol for 2-stroke oil. It is good quality and readily available.