T500 front brakes

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

RossB
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RD400 T500 Titan GT550

T500 front brakes

Post by RossB »

Hello Gents
Work on the 74 T500 coming along had inner seals done new Pistons,David Higgs making some nice pipes for me. Front brakes don't work that great, have the organic shoes turned on lathe came out nice drum super smooth tried roughing it up but hard as rock. The arms on linkage look good but just won't bite! Wheel built so I can't skim the drum.
Thanks!
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: T500 front brakes

Post by Alan H »

RossB wrote:Hello Gents
Work on the 74 T500 coming along had inner seals done new Pistons,David Higgs making some nice pipes for me. Front brakes don't work that great, have the organic shoes turned on lathe came out nice drum super smooth tried roughing it up but hard as rock. The arms on linkage look good but just won't bite! Wheel built so I can't skim the drum.
Thanks!
That's the best time to skim a drum, it won't distort when trued then - any movement has already happened. You just need a bigger lathe which will be available, just not very often. Look in the bike mags for drum skimming, or even big engineering works. The drum inner doesn't need to be rough, a quick rub with scotchbrite or VERY fine emery to remove a glaze is enough.
Loosen the arm between the two actuators and pull/operate the shoe with the cable arm with your thumb so the shoe is in contact with the drum. Now while holding it like that, turn the adjuster so that the second actuator starts to move. Keep your thumb on the first actuator and you will feel it start to push back as the second shoe comes into contact with the drum. Just back off a tad and tighten the lock nuts. Job done.
The brake was never fantastic in the first place, but was 'ok'. If you want better brakes, better fit a 4ls from an early kettle/550 or a disc upgrade.
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
RossB
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RD400 T500 Titan GT550

Post by RossB »

Alan
Thanks will give it a try have a nice holiday!
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Was surprised at how much improvement you get the first time I lubed up the drum brake system.
Properly lubed brake cable.
A bit of grease on the brake cam shaft. I lube the brake panel & insert the brake cam so any excess is on the outside & is easily cleaned up.
A smidgen of grease on the brake lever.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE