T250 oil consumption

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

relic
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 T250 1976 GT500A(sold)

T250 oil consumption

Post by relic »

Hello all.
I've now got about 400 miles on my '72 T250 after my winter of bringing her back to life. The bike is running great.
Plugs are burning nicely and all is well. Sooooo my question is about oil consumption. Cable is set to the marks, smoke is not excessive and I'm using Yamalube 2S.
I measured consumption very accurately by mileage and compared to fuel consumption and doing the math my ratio works out to 34:1.
This mileage is a mix of in town and highway with a good portion of it running at 90-100kph (55-60mph). And lots of that is in 5th running 6000rpm plus. (hills and head winds negate the use of 6th gear).
I'm happy to leave all as it is but its quite a bit more than my GT500A was using when I had that bike.
I'm curious if any other T250 riders have an idea what they are using? To help compare--- I'd estimate a full tank would carry me about 400 miles.

Relic
1976 DT400C -daily rider
1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler - daily rider
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado sidecar outfit -daily driver
1971 Hodaka Ace 100 B+ daily rider
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: T250 oil consumption

Post by Craig380 »

I can't remember if you Canadians use liters, imperial gallons or US gallons, I can only calculate oil consumption in miles per imperial (20 ounce) pint :wth: :lol:

My 10 cents worth: don't worry about it. 34:1 isn't excessive, in my view, and if it isn't smoking heavily or fouling plugs, it will be fine.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
relic
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1972 T250 1976 GT500A(sold)

Re: T250 oil consumption

Post by relic »

Craig380 wrote:I can't remember if you Canadians use liters, imperial gallons or US gallons, I can only calculate oil consumption in miles per imperial (20 ounce) pint :wth: :lol:

My 10 cents worth: don't worry about it. 34:1 isn't excessive, in my view, and if it isn't smoking heavily or fouling plugs, it will be fine.
Hahahaha...sometimes I don't know what measurements we use either!
When I was in school we were taught the Imperial system and that is what Canada used. Sometime in the early 70's we officially switched to metric. Sort of... Some industries refused to switch. And some foods are still, all these years later, sold by the pound, rather than the kilogram.
Folks in my age group tend to switch back and forth depending on what we are measuring. For instance personally I calculate fuel consumption in miles per gallon. (imperial gallons) because as a young apprentice mechanic this is what we used. Trouble is we now purchase gas and oil in liters. Of course my bikes are all in mph, (because they are all old, after 1975 to be sold in Canada all vehicles had to have speedometers in metric), so I do the math to convert my purchase from liters to gallons and then figure my consumption. The vehicle specs and advertisements all tout "liters per hundred kilometers" which is confusing for me.

I appreciate all your input Craig380. I think I'll leave the pump adjustment as is.

Relic
1976 DT400C -daily rider
1972 Suzuki T250 Hustler - daily rider
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado sidecar outfit -daily driver
1971 Hodaka Ace 100 B+ daily rider