what you need to know about oil...

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

what you need to know about oil...

Post by johnakay »

this guy knows his stuff. he's a member on another forum.

simon is the name, and if you look at my history and profile you'll see I was involved in R & D and Development in the bike industry for a looooong time. Worked for Honda, Suzuki and BMW, and several lube companies!

Oil is hygroscopic - that is it absorbs moisture (water) which is a recurring and fundamental component of metals that are retained in a room-temperature state. Over time, this water can be held in suspension by the oil, and where it comes into contact with metallic surfaces it can actually cause corrosion and erosion.

So the reason for regular oil changes (time, not mileage) is to remove these trace elements before they can do any damage to the engine internals.

There is a complex scientific document http://www.springerlink.com/content/k113gw42j3575327/

that explains this, but the simple explanation is that the only way to remove the water from the oil is to heat it up. Generally the only way to heat up oil in an engine is to start the engine, and as 70% of the engines wear occurs on startup and during warming, the damage is done. You cannot win by anything other than changing the oil!

Tthere are other long-chain molecules in oil that provide consistent viscosity and polymers that provide enhanced functionality and these also break down over time, especially in an engine that is not used.

For this reason, if you are laying up a bike for a long period, buy a few litres of cheap `dinosaur` oil (mineral oil, not synthetic or semi-synthetic), change the oil (and filter) every few months, and run the motor occasionally up to full working temperature (riding it is best, but a thorough idle for fifteen minutes every month will do) to keep the good oil circulated to all internal metallic parts. Also check the oil sight glass and look for a whitish `froth` sitting on top of the dark oil - that is the moisture, and if it's more than a mm or two thick after you've run the engine up and then allowed everything to cool, the oil is f*cked and should be changed at the earliest opportunity.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Oil is hygroscopic - that is it absorbs moisture (water) which is a recurring and fundamental component of metals that are retained in a room-temperature state.
I'm sorry but this sentence makes no sense to me. Water is NOT a fundamental component of any metal that I'm aware of.
It's stuff like this that make me question EVERYTHING else the writer has to say. Maybe a mistranslation in that sentence ??? :shock:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
bikegeezer
On the main road

Post by bikegeezer »

H2RICK wrote:
Oil is hygroscopic - that is it absorbs moisture (water) which is a recurring and fundamental component of metals that are retained in a room-temperature state.
I'm sorry but this sentence makes no sense to me. Water is NOT a fundamental component of any metal that I'm aware of.
It's stuff like this that make me question EVERYTHING else the writer has to say. Maybe a mistranslation in that sentence ??? :shock:
I'm also sorry, but I believe this whole thing is horse poop. Another anonymous example of Internet Intelligence. Brake fluid is hygoscopic to a degree that causes problems. And maybe some lubricating oils also. But the main way moisture gets into engine oil is by starting the engine and not allowing it to run long enough to reach full warm up. 30 minutes at full operating temperature will remove moisture from the crankcase and exhaust system. However, there are plenty of other contaminants, including acids, that form in the oil during use and can only be removed by changing the oil.

Stu
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Maybe the writer intended to say that metal is cold and condensation occurs inside the cases causing rust, but I'm tempted to be terribly judgemental and conclude that he's another self opinionated, self proclaimed expert.

Just because he worked somewhere doesn't necessarily mean he learned anything! Now I'm getting bitchy. better go take my meds and lie down for a bit. :lol: