The road to over 100hp- easy enough with a GT 750?

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I was playing with some numbers in MOTA last weekend on a piston ported motor. I was trying to get more than 100 at the crank at less than 6500 with a huge fat torque curve. Hey - A guy can dream can't he? :lol:

Well I initially guessed a small number for crankcase volume and it was really not helping the results, so I arbitrarily increased it to a larger volume (lower CR) and it helped with what I was doing.

Until I work out the real primary CR I'm just guessing, but it looks like the pressure and volume animations are way too high with the numbers I plugged in.

Was that 500 twin >1.3:1 CR by any chance?
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

T500 Compession Ratio

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Would have to check my notes from twenty years ago and those are a ways away from here for the time being.
Hate working in the field...like a jail sentence.
We did not want to go the way of stuffers on the 500 twin but did end up with a crank lighter than the cut down ones.

Kris
diamondj
Road race school

Re: T500 Compession Ratio

Post by diamondj »

Kris Bernstein wrote:Would have to check my notes from twenty years ago and those are a ways away from here for the time being.
Hate working in the field...like a jail sentence.
We did not want to go the way of stuffers on the 500 twin but did end up with a crank lighter than the cut down ones.

Kris
Hey Kris,

Feel free to post as much as you like about race tuning a T500 here!!!! :D

Jim
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Kris , where in the world were you when i started my reed motor .. uh ... 3 years ago :roll:
the older i get the faster i was
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Hey Dave!

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Nice to hear from you again!
Actually got out of vintage road racing for a decade or so when I got burned out. AHRMA hated the big smokers and would not let us any ware near the track. I started up the Seeley 750 in the pits when I raced the T500 at Daytona back in the early ninties and they rudely rushed over and asked me to put that nasty thing back in the hauler. Just did it to piss them off.
Seems a 750 with stinger exhausts does not get any respect at the four-stroke club. They have come around since they went bankrupt in the pissing contest with Rob Inaucchi. Never get in a legal battle with a lawyer...his fees are f.....g free!
Anyway restored or still restoring four Ducati's and still have a few strange two stroke racers that survived divorce #2...
Sadly the TZ750 went to France...will miss that thing...
Just getting back into the game as funds allow now...

Kris
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Kris , i see your TZ is gone but still this is a nice place to hang out with the TZ guys http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewforum ... m=2stroker also it was great to see the mighty TZ's at the Vintage Races at Daytona this yr . Image
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

tz375 wrote: So the best way to get there IMHO is to build a reed valve motor with additional boost ports. Of course that really needs pistons with ring pegs in a different place, but that's not too hard. The reed conversion gives you scope to change the transfer porting and add intake port area without the bad effect of too much intake timing. You really want to add a modern squish head to that package and the exhaust ports will end up very wide, so the shape is important and so are the rings you choose to use. Add in custom designed pipes and another $1000 or so to change to Fuel Injection and you should have a nice package.
Come on now Teaser , who would be crazy enough to drop all that on a lump like the Gt750 engine :roll:
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Lump?

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Not the most expensive drug....
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Dave,
Believe it or not, I heard that there are people two deep in GT750 projects for absolutely no good reason. There are tales of people buying up Snowmobile motors and cutting reed boxes off the crankcases and measuring snowmobile and motocross barrels and ports and heads, and stripping cranks, just to work out WTF makes these things tick. Then they supposedly spend ridiculous hours working computer numbers till 3 in the morning and leaving huge piles of shavings on the workshop floor.

I even heard of people buying 34mm carbs and then 38mm flatslides and sets of EFI and ECUs. I even heard that someone cast their own barrels up. :oops:

Personally I don't believe any of those urban myths. No one would be that demented.

BTW, you never did send me the name of your therapist.......... :roll:
cruisingram
Around the block

Post by cruisingram »

So, fill me in, has someone actualy adapted this motor to a reed motor?
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Reed

Post by water cooled »

There are at least two people on this board that have done it or are in the process.

Shannon built his own GT 1000cc cylinder with reeds. There is a thread on this board regarding his engine with pictures and of course, Dave is in process with his GT750 EFI shown above.

There might be one or two others outside the U.S.
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Reed Induction

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Harpowa built several reed conversion cylinders back in the early 70's in the UK, hoping to market the conversion. Never caught on as six and eight petal assemblies didn't exist back then and the effect, most likely was not worth the expense.

Kris
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Kris,
I have seen a couple of small pictures of Harpower motors but have no details. Can you shed any light on them?
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Harpowa

Post by Kris Bernstein »

I've seen pictures (a few) and I know Keven Fletcher has one on his TR750 motor in Canada.
Same welded up reed box's after intakes milled off, I guess.
I'd thought they used RD reed cages. Info lost in the smoke of time, me thinks.

I'll email Kev and see if I can get pictures. He's always about the world with his work. He just stopped into Nova Racing in the UK to have a look at the TR750 six speed gear box Paul Smart sent to Graham Dyson to possibly replicate....although Graham dismissed it as a bum design....
Better to start with a fresh sheet of paper me thinks
Kris