Electronic tacho

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Electronic tacho

Post by tz375 »

This post is not asking about new aftermarket tachos but addresses electronic tachos that we tightwads bought or acquired cheaply and wish to use on our modified bikes.

So a triple fires once per cylinder per revolution. Nothing strange about that.

And most in line 4 fours strokes pre-2000 or so had two double ended coils that also fired once per revolution. the same applies to an RGV250 which has two pickups and two coils, each of which fires once per revolution.

So far so good. So any tacho for an inline four 4 stroke or V twin 2 stroke will probably work fine on a triple or even a twin two stroke. That's good news for people running points or a 12v Dyna system, but does not apply necessarily to CDI or magneto ignitions.

If the bike has a pickup per cylinder, one of the above tachos will work, but if the ignition fires twice (or more) per revolution, the tacho will over read by 2:1 or more.

There's an RZ350 on the net that used an R1 tacho and for the life of me I can't work out how he made that work. One is 2 pulses per rev and the other is one per. Anyone got any idea how that worked?

A Polaris 2 pulse tacho would work with a twin firing twice per revolution I thinlk, but 6 pulse tachos won't be close.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Richard i remember some generic tachs offered for vehicles years ago that had a switch for the cylinders in use and you apply the position for the engine cylinder count.
The little internal switch circuit board was nothing more than a few basic parts, so it could be built quite easily and adapted to the engine in question.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I think it is a 91 GSXR1100 tach i use on the yellow bike .
the older i get the faster i was
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

So how did the guy with the RZ350 manage to make an R1 tacho work??

I have a 2001 R1 tacho for the "Sport Custom" (previously known as Phirst Phat Trakka, and desperately in need of a decent name). According to my logic, it should work fine if I use one pick up per coil.

For the Phat Trakka, I really want the front end to be old skool tuff - no nancy boy instrument clusters. That's why I liked the 5 inch Polaris tacho. It's simple and solid and functional - but it needs 6 pulses per revolution.

Or I find a way to gut it and replace the guts with a 4 stroke 4 tachos.

This bloody thing was supposed to be cheap and easy. What fairy tail was I listening to? :roll:
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

I'm no electronics expert....but I've worked with guys who were board-level IC designers and I had to source surface-mount and through-hole components for them. So I learned a little about that stuff. Somewhere I remember seeing a multiplier chip (or something like that) that would create extra pulses from one pulse, for whatever reason. If I were you, TZ, I'd talk to anyone you know that's really into electronics at the board level. I'm sure they would be able to come up with something for you to integrate into your tach circuit.....and the bonus is that most of those chips are dirt cheap.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

tacho

Post by rbond »

See if you can contact Phil C from England. He was on this board before it died, I don't know if he has re-registered for the new one or not. He helped me reverse engineer a CDI box for my GT500, been working great for almost a year now. The man knows his stuff!!!