Wasted spark ignition on a triple

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jaybob
To the on ramp

Wasted spark ignition on a triple

Post by jaybob »

Hey guys, what can anyone tell me about the Boyer wasted spark ignition on a triple 2 stroke. I have one but I am not sure that is what I want to use.

I am familiar with the same type of set up on a four stroke where the wasted spark happens on the already burned charge in the exhaust stroke.

On a 2 stroke triple however it would seem that inevitably one of the wasted sparks would happen at some point during the filling of the cylinder with new juice. I don't really know though (that is why I am asking).

Also can the stock coil pack handle the increased multi sparking on a GT series bike? Would I need to upgrade the coils?

I had originally wanted to get the Newtronics ignition for the capability of individual cylinder timing also but everyone knows they are not available new at this time.

Lastly I know that other ignition options are available but can someone please remind me what they are.

Thanks
Jason
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The wasted spark doesn't cause any problems in the combustion cycle.

I would guess that with a wasted spark there is not a lot of rise time to charge up the coil when the motor starts to rev. Suzukidave and Ryan have worked through that on the SRAD-GT and went to special coils to work with the microsquirt ECU.

I have heard of someone who uses/used an MSD system with twin coil outputs connected to one double ended and one single coil and that motor made sh!t loads of power.

For a street bike with stock alternator, I think the neatest system is at
www.suzukitandgtparts.nl click on HOT PARTS. It's not adjustable, so if your crank is out of phase, this one won't compensate for it. That system is probably the best and I have heard good reports of it.

There's also www.accent-electronic.com from Germany

or www.HPI.be for a self generating system from Belgium.

Krober race systems are still available too.

Powerdynamo at http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/lists/suzuki.php only offer a twin system at the moment.

Zeeltronic does a nice triple circuit CDI and a matching curve controller, but you need to fabricate a trigger system for that one.
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Thanks for taking the time to post the info... I just sent a message to the Netherlands to order one of those.

Jason
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

I have the system from suzuki gt & t parts in the netherlands on my T350. It works very well, but I have one issue with mine and that is that some times the engine starts running in the wrong direction. Not a big deal, but I was quite surprised the first time it happened when I was on my way home from work...
A very nice feature on the system is a small LED on the sensors that lights up when the sensor gets activated, it makes it real easy to set the timing, although I double checked it with a timing light.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

If the engine runs backwards, that can mean that the timing is too close to TDC.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

First I thought it was the timing beeing too close to TDC, but the timing was spot on.
By closer inspection of the rotor I found that there are three smal magnets on a row, so if the engine is turned the wrong way the ignition timing will actually be slightly before TDC.

It once happened to me when stopping for a trafic light in Hamburg during heavy traffic, and when the light turned green i let go of the clutch and went backwards a couple of meters. Luckily the blue exhaust had keept the guy in the mercedes behind me from pulling up to close...
Quite embarasing...

Apart from that I have had about 8000km without any ignition problems since I installed it. Just remember to keep the battery charged...
Triplerocky
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380m, gt380a, ts400b

Post by Triplerocky »

That T&GT ignition is based upon Hall effect, rare heart magnet and sensor. This latter is exactly the same I knew on the model engine (4T, 20cc), Graupner ignition from Germany. Nothing is created but all is trasforming :D
But...why the 3 magnets on a row?
'75 GT380M
'77 GT380B
'77 TS400B
('74 GT380 is gone at 2300 euros)