Buffalo timing question

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cabz
Around the block

Buffalo timing question

Post by cabz »

Well I am finaly getting around to checking the timing on my gt750k
I picked up a standard dial gauge from HF , since I have a hard time reading these things I went back and got there digital dial indicator

I have all the spec on where the timing should be and I have the L cyl set at 3.64mm btdc. the points are allready open , this tells me the timing was off. I checked the timing as it is and the points are opening at 5.05mm btdc. Could the engine still run ok at that timing setting?
I know it isnt adjusted properly now and I am gonna set it to factory specs , but this bike was running fairly decent so before I change anything I just want to be sure I m doing it right .

also the timing pointer does not line up with the match mark on the engine case when set ta 3.64mm is this normal?

TIA
Carmine B
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Well, that's pretty advanced, and that can cause you to burn holes in pistons. It'll run better at the correct timing. The pointer has some slop in it when you install it, so I set mine by marking it with a sharpie pen where the dial indicator says. Do that for each cylinder, then you can use a timing light.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

Thats what I was thinking , When i reset the left cyl the others where off the other way . I got 2.02 for the right and 2.34 for the center. I finaly got them all set last night . I gotta tell ya the digital dial indicator I used is awesome :D everything is set dead on

Now onto those carbs :twisted: