Can you identify this front wheel?

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Smokeman
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, RG200

Can you identify this front wheel?

Post by Smokeman »

Hi,

I am new to this forum, new to the world of Suzuki triples...but have been a 2-stroke owner/fan forever. That being said, I recently purchased a 1972 Suzuki GT 550. As the bike is a little rough I am in the process of replacing bearings, cables and tires. My question to the forum concerns the front wheel/drum brake. Based on the photos I've seen of stock '72 GT 550 with the front drum brake I think the front wheel on my bike may have come from a donor bike. The front hub on my bike utilizes two (2) brake shoes and the rim size is 1.60 x 19. I thought the stock unit utilized four (4) brake shoes and came with a 1.85 x 19 rim...? Based on the attached photo can anyone tell me bike/model this front wheel came from?

Any help would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Re: Can you identify this front wheel?

Post by Buffalo-guy »

That is definitely the wrong wheel for that bike. The original is a double sided, 4 leading shoe drum, of about 8 inches dia. What you have there is single sided, single leading shoe design, of about 6 inch dia, from something much smaller, but most likely Suzuki, as all the hardware is at least compatible. I suspect a 125 cc bike of some sorts. I believe that anything larger got the twin leading shoe variety. What you have is definitely not up to the job. Your forks look to be the original items, so you can source the correct wheel, and it should bolt right in. Alternatively, a disc brake front end from a later model may be a lot easier to find, and cheaper too. Those 4LS units are highly prized by the retro racing and custom crowd, and command a steep price. That's probably what happened to your original wheel in the first place. Anyway, good luck with it all. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Smokeman
On the street

Post by Smokeman »

Fred,

Thanks for the help! It looks like I'll be putting a disk unit front end on my bike...does anyone know if the disk unit forks from a 74-75 GT 550 fit properly in the stock '72 triple clamps?

Mark
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Mark.
Unfortunately, the fork spacing is about 3/8 in wider for the drum to fit, so the triple trees will need to be part of the deal. It is a direct swap, so no fitment issues, and do yourself a favor, and install tapered roller bearings at that time. The stock ones will most likely be dimpled, eroded, and otherwise useless. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Smokeman
On the street

Post by Smokeman »

Fred, thanks once again. You've set me on the right path...looks like I'll be busy this winter!

Mark