GT 750 info

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

GT 750 info

Post by ja-moo »

I have had a couple of guys inquire abut reed conversions, and I don't know a lot about the GT's. I believe they hade two different intake port configurations. And the later ones had more agressive porting?
Thanks for any info......
Visiting from the "K" camp...........
tgrogan
On the street

Re: GT 750 info

Post by tgrogan »

Not enough difference that a short time with a grinder wouldn't change.....
Terry

1968 T500, 1976 GT500, 1970 T250
2000 Ural Bavarian Classic Sidecar Rig
2011 Ural Retro Sidecar Rig
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

While Mr Grogan is correct, it doesn't really tell you what you need to know. Yes port timing changed but reeds should make that all so much less of an issue. The real issue is fitment. There's a port divider down the middle to mess with.

Early J barrels have a short divider. Early K barrels with spigot carb mount and no indent for the "Water Cooled" badges seem to have a slightly longer dividing web. L, M,A, & B all had a long web almost out to the port mouth. They also are a poor match to the BS40 carbs which flow about the same as a stock VM32.

Unlike KHI engines, all bar the J have a short spigot mount and that makes your design task a shade more complex.
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

Anyone have a "L" model cylinder bank they won't be using for a while? :up:
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

No one????????????? :?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

John are you looking for a stock barrel to modify and return to a grateful owner or one on which you can inflict terrible pain as you do those fiendish surgical experiments like Dr Frankenstein. A barrel that is so grotesquely changed that it could never be seen in decent society.

I mean to say, a Suzuki with Kawasaki type reed valves. Have you no decency sir.

Halloween is coming up and time to get with the theme, right? :oops: :?
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

tz375 wrote:John are you looking for a stock barrel to modify and return to a grateful owner or one on which you can inflict terrible pain as you do those fiendish surgical experiments like Dr Frankenstein. A barrel that is so grotesquely changed that it could never be seen in decent society.

I mean to say, a Suzuki with Kawasaki type reed valves. Have you no decency sir.

Halloween is coming up and time to get with the theme, right? :oops: :?
I just need one "in my hands" to measure and see what can be done. If things look good, then their might be a "Frankensuki" in the future...... :lol: As far as "decent" society, I'm not on any Honda boards..... :wth:

I am thinking I would have to do a totally new design, if thing do work out........ :clap:
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

PM me an address and I'll send you one I'm not using right now.

The easiest to modify would be a J with carb flanges like an H1 or H2 but they are getting scare and J-B are the most common.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

ja-moo wrote: I am thinking I would have to do a totally new design, if thing do work out........ :clap:
So - something like a Stage One Buffalo 750 Kit ? :D I'd be interested in that - especially if, as per your web site, it also allowed the use of the the stock air box and carbs etc. We'd be talking about a 'stealth' Buffalo - kind of cool ! 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I love that sense of humour. A "Stealth Buffalo" That's quite the oxymoron :lol: :lol:
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

oldjapanesebikes wrote:
ja-moo wrote: I am thinking I would have to do a totally new design, if thing do work out........ :clap:
So - something like a Stage One Buffalo 750 Kit ? :D I'd be interested in that - especially if, as per your web site, it also allowed the use of the the stock air box and carbs etc. We'd be talking about a 'stealth' Buffalo - kind of cool ! 8)
I don't know right now, I will just have to see what can be done. I 'try" to keep my conversions as simple as possible, so a stealth may be possible, well, not as obvious as a pink elephant in the room at least...... :lol:
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

Got 2 sets of cylinders in, but they look the same........... :?: Aren't there 2 different designs?

tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

That looks familiar. The upper one is from a 1976 A and the lower was from ? The difference should be in the height of the exhaust port and the floor of the intake. They all look the same. Early L models are different. They have bolt on carbs like the H1/2's etc.
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

tz375 wrote:That looks familiar. The upper one is from a 1976 A and the lower was from ? The difference should be in the height of the exhaust port and the floor of the intake. They all look the same. Early L models are different. They have bolt on carbs like the H1/2's etc.

GGGRRRRR...... I "wanted" one of each........... :?
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

John , my bet would be most of the reed buyers would be putting them into the type blocks you have pictured as the bolt on flange type cylinders were only on the early 72 J models and although they are cast with a bit more aluminum around the ports for carving into they are harder to find . Image
the older i get the faster i was