Colortune?

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Arne
To the on ramp

Colortune?

Post by Arne »

Anybody ever used one of these before?

http://www.carbtune.com/'

What is the Colortune?
The Colortune has a clear spark plug that lets you look into the combustion chamber while the engine is firing. The colour of the combustion flame tells you if the mixture is correct. With the carburettor mixture screw you can then adjust the flame colour to get the correct mixture.

The Colortune has colour charts and comprehensive instructions to carry out the job effectively. An effective flame colour - diagnosis section is included in the booklet. Comes complete with periscope for recessed plugs.

Take the guesswork out of engine tuning with the Colortune.

The world famous glass topped spark plug that gives you a window into the combustion chamber so you can see the flame.

Why is this important? The flame's colour tells you the richness of the air/fuel ratio. A yellow flame means a rich mixture and a blueish white flame a weaker mixture. Usually a bunsen blue flame is spot on.

The Colortune is so simple that anyone can use it. It works on the principle that certain fuel mixtures burn with a certain color.

The Colortune will work on both motorcycles and cars with carburettors. Just adjust the mixture screw to get the correct flame colour.

Also works on injection systems that have a mixture adjuster. Mainly older injection systems.
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
Frank T
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 68 Cobra, 73T500

Post by Frank T »

These are popular with the old British car crowd. I have used the color tune on various MGs and Triumphs that I have owned thru the years. Never thought it was a must have tool. I believe I still have a couple color tunes in a drawer somewhere.
Frank Tarpley
1968 Cobra, 1973 T500, 1974 GT380, 1987 Yamaha RZ350, 1988 Yamaha TDR250, 1989 DT50
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

You really need one, and I just happen to have one that is absolutely useless as a tuning tool. I mean it's a very useful tool. I blew that didn't I. :oops:

I used one a few times in the past and never managed to get it to tell me much.

But that's just my experience, others may have had good luck with them.
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

I kindof figured that it wasn't a necessity as I've never even heard of them before.

Looks like an interesting idea, but its probably just as easy to look at the white of the spark plug when you screw it out.

Maybe I'll pick a used one off of a swap meet someday to mess around with..... but I'll skip it for immediate use.

Thanks guys - Arne
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project