2 up 1 down GT crank

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

2 up 1 down GT crank

Post by Suzukidave »

Anyone have any thoughts good or bad about the thought of setting up a GT 750 crank this way with the the center 180 degs from the 2 end throws ?
the older i get the faster i was
pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Re: 2 up 1 down GT crank

Post by pjmcburney »

Suzukidave wrote:Anyone have any thoughts good or bad about the thought of setting up a GT 750 crank this way with the the center 180 degs from the 2 end throws ?

Hey Dave,

Interesting idea - sort of like an early Laverda triple.

Couple of things I reckon might be a drama:

Balance/vibration - without careful balancing and/or addition of some counter-balance weighting it would vibrate like mad, although it should negate the rocking-couple but you'd have to lose some smoothness.

Responsiveness - would it be more difficult to 'spin' up an engine with the weight of two pistons fighting one?
I dunno, I'm just shooting the breeze, only putting one together that way would really give you the answers you're looking for.

On the same subject, I'm getting Brett to rebuild some RG500 cranks for me for my RG project later in the year.

He rang me this week to tell me he has to restore the phasing between the cranks because they were 20 degrees apart :? - could this have been an attempt by a PO of a 'big-bang' RG500? Has anyone heard of this for RG's?

I'd be interested to find out the degrees between splines on the disc-valve shafts. It would be very easy to move, say, the rear discs around one tooth on their spline and adjust the crank phasing to suit...

Cheers
Paul
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Thanx Paul for the response , this is just what i am looking for . My deal is with the reeded , injected engine i am putting together for the project bike would be easier to setup with the Micro Squirt ECM if the engine were a twin .
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Dave,

EVERYTHING would be easier if it were a twin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

So any other thought on the subject Richard ? :D
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Dave,

I'd just leave sequential distribution alone and go for batch firing. It avoids all the fancy timing calculations for a start and I suspect from our earlier discussions that timing is not so important - especially on a reed 2 stroke.

2 up, 1 down would have a terrible primary balance unless you were to add a 4th cylinder on the left side instead of the ignition and water pump cover. You would be able to use a simple ignition arrangement too.

That, is the right answer - a big bang 4 cylinder with GSXR 6 speed trans in a set of billet cases. 8)

Obviously something like a MOTEC M400 would do the job, but at a somewhat higher price point.

Or are M/S selling a sequencer board as an add-on yet?

No. I'd go for firing all three injectors simultaneously if that's an available option.
pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Post by pjmcburney »

tz375 wrote:add a 4th cylinder on the left side instead of the ignition and water pump cover.

Hmmm...

I've been looking at my spare cases and barrels with just such a thing in mind, lately.

How hard can it be?

If Alan Millyard can make a V12 out of a Z1300, then a four cylinder GT is a definite possibility.

Where's my hacksaw...
Cheers
Paul
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

You just need to send these guys a nice fat check Paul http://www.mattoonmachine.com/Billet_Cases.html :shock:
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Those engine cases are works of art!! The thought of a four cylinder buffalo make my saliva gland work overtime. A rather lofty cost to set up a program to whittle that out of a lump of recycled beer cans, I suspect. Does bring up some interesting visions though. Makes me wonder what Shannons friend in Aus would do on Lake Gardner with a monster like that. OOOO baby!! I have to go to the washroom now. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
ja-moo
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by ja-moo »

The Suki's have a pretty robust tranny, but when making a big bang motor, remember that you are doubling or tripleing the power pulse through the tranny. A grear made for 20 hp, is now pushing 40 through it.
Visiting from the "K" camp...........
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

If we had just a redesigned top case so some nice snowmobile cylinders would bolt to it it would be perfect Image
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Dave,

Those triples come in a range of bore spacings, so you can fit a set of single cylinder MX top ends for an 1800cc triple. But don't forget the billet 74mm or 84mm crank and billet transmission to finish it off.

So that would be:
Cases $2,500
Trans $2,500
Top ends $1,500 (that's a guess)
Billet Crank $1,000
Billet Throttle bodies $1,500
MoTEC M400 EFI/ECU $4,500
Data Logger say $2,500

was anyone keeping a count there?
:o :cry:
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

I was thinking a bit more of a budget useing the stock bottom cases , GS750 transmission , billet top case 1500$ ? and top it off with some ebay jugs and pistons from a snowmobile so maybe more like $2500~3000 for the motor :D
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

OK, how about a set of billet cases to take a GSXR transmission (short, stacked and available - like a young lady I used to know :oops: ).

The billet cases could be set up to take say a modified Polaris triple XCR800 crank and a set of XCR800 VES jugs canted forwards so that the crankcase reeds clear the trans. They could also be angled backwards with front facing carbs and reeds.

The primary drive would still be a problem, but nothing too hard to work out.
maybe try something similar to a GT750 to keep the trans centralized. That would be wider than an H2 design, but tidier.

It could use the stock XCR ignition and carbs for ease of use and maybe sling an electric foot underneath. It should have a Davis Craig electric water pump for simplicity.

Think of it as a 200HP XCR800 with GSXR trans.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

And before I forget, how about setting it up with a pair of modified Rotax twin cranks with new center drive. Use two pairs of DFI top ends for 1200cc of clean efficient, explosive 2 stroke power.

For a cheaper alternative, use a set of Triple Arctic Cat ZRT Thundercat top ends - only 900cc but lots of power.

The possibilities are endless.

I have an angle grinder, dremmel and electric drill - does that constitute a low cost machining center for the cases, or you think I need something more sophisticated?

Seriously, we need a good CAD/CAM guy to draw this up and get it estimated on a CNC mill.