Archived Posts

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Mighty Buffalo Update

Post by Admin »

I did some work on the front end this evening. I made some mounts for the gauges and tried to figure out what I'm going to do about the headlight. I don't think the headlight sticks out far enough. I'd like the headlight to be another inch or so further forward. What do you think?

OK, somebody refresh me on how to upload photos, please. I just don't seem to be smart enough to make this happen.
Last edited by Admin on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey Ogri,

Cycleforums.com requires a log-in so I can't see the image you posted. That must be what's keeping it from posting to the board as well. Try uploading it to villagephotos.com and then pasting it into a message....

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Thanks Jim!!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Came right open for me, no problem. Guages look too high, headlight too small. I do believe there was a giand headlight on the GS1100ES in its later years that may well look better.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Looks terrific, OGRI!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yeah, with the stock gauges, the headlight looks sorta small, or too far back. Is that a GT750 headlight? Everything else looks great.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ogri,

Much better - I can see!!!

It's looking good! What's the rear swingarm from?

The '78 GS1000 on through the 1100's used an 8" headlight versus the 7" one on the GT750 as H2RTuner mentioned. Of course the stock headlight might look a little more right by moving it out an inch or two with a pair of aluminum triangles. You could also try Fang's method and use two 5" chrome lights as he did on his T350. Or you could go for broke with a pair of 7" chrome "off-road" truck lights in true hooligan style!

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yup, it is the stock headlight. I was thinking of the GS1100E head light as well. That 8' light would look great on there. The next problem is finding one. I have done a little searching for one in the past with no results. I guess I'll keep searching Ebay.

I think I can lower the gauges a little bit without fouling anything. With the headlight so close to the headstock there is not much room there.

The swingarm is off of a GSXR 750. I really wanted to use the ZRX swinger but the cost was too great. I would have had to do a bunch of cutting to either the frame or the swingarm to get it to work and even then it would not have been a clean look like it would like for it to be. This swingarm will fit with some minor machining to narrow it by a little less than 2mm.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I secured an 8" headlight today. Hopefully, I'll have it to fit it up by Thanksgiving weekend. I'm pretty stoked. I think it will look really good on there.

I have a bead on another GT750 in an effort to help me figure out how to wire this thing back up too. If it falls through, I may need some help figuring this out.

On the other hand, I am contemplating adding some extra bracing to the frame to help reduce some of the flex. Also, I have heard that the USD fork will put more stress on the steering head. Does that make sense to anyone. Why would it matter if the fork is conventional or USD? The forces are coming from the same place. I don't get that one.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The Upside-down forks are much stiffer. Since they don't flex as much as the originals, it may be a little harder on the frame. I'm not sure it would be significant on the street.

If I were bracing the frame, I'd reweld all the joints at the swingarm mounts. It's a big plate on both sides with minimal weld. I think it is a major flex-point.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I wouldn't think the USD forks by themself would stress the steering head any more than the orig. forks. The brakes and modern tires on the other hand.......

Pete
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I thought about the brakes. Origionally, the plan was to put Tokico 6 pot calipers on the front, but I have changed those for 4 pot calipers from my Triumph Daytona. Between those two, I'm sure it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. They are both too much.

To stiffen the frame and help to brace for the new loads, I thought I would do something similar to what the guys on the GS and Katana sites do....

This is from the OldSkoolSuzuki site http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/ :

I will not be able to do the A or C brace, but BDEF and then I'll beef up the joints at the swingarm like Lane suggested.
Last edited by Admin on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

that is very interesteing! I would really like to see some examples of how to modify a smaller frame... like my 1970 t350. Muzza? Spence? Any help there?

-fang
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

There are some mods on this page that i guess you could try:
http://www.t20suzuki.com/racing.htm
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

That link is not working for me......