Need advice

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

djfisher22
To the on ramp

Need advice

Post by djfisher22 »

My bud and I went for a nice ride today.Me on my ZRX and him on his newly built 74 GT750.I let him lead and I noticed more smoke from the left upper pipe (LS outer cylinder) than the center or right pipes.We switched bikes at one point and these were my impressions.Bear in mind the only two strokes I've been on in the last 8 years were an H1 and my H2.It started a microsecond after touching the button.It had broad power like a four stroke bike.The problem was it was like my wifes 400 honda.Seemed totally gutless to me.It ran well,no miss,smooth but no balls.I think he has a timing issue.He insists it is set up by the book.I wish I could ride another one to see,but I can't believe thats all that motor has to give.Am I expecting too much?

2000 ZRX (the green ones are fastest)
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

http://www.ozebook.com/cpotw/documents/register.html
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

It is so smooth it is deceptive. :oops:

Really. It is. By comparison to an H2, it makes (or should make) almost as much power but it has less dips and bumps in the power curve, so it feels slower. It also weighs about as much as a large yacht which takes the edge off.

It's also possible that that bike may be slower than average. Stock timing has a huge range so it may benefit from advancing slightly.

Try one with porting or chambers or both. Try to borrow another one to compare.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Stock Buffalos do not feel fast, due in part, to the 500+ pounds. They only put about 50 HP on the ground, but they can be awakened. BlueBoy puts 80 on the ground and it's much more fun, AND it'll still cruise.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Gearing can also take some of the omph out of the power , does he have it geared stock or taller ?
the older i get the faster i was
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

So we have a smooth sailing land yacht, id say youre definately expecting a bit much from the stock Buffalo,especially after riding the ZRX.
However the smooth linear curve of a stock Buffalos power band can be used wisely to make it go really well, and believe me, at around 90mph the stock suspension gets really interesting too.
Throw in some high speed curves with little undulations and the bike feels like its suddenly got a hinge under the seat.
I'd say he might need to recheck his timing and use the stock gearing or close to it if its been altered.
I dont recommend a 16 up front as its ratio is a bit too much for spooling up the final drive quickly. For a stock motor stick to a 15 or 14 and change out the rear sprocket as needed to effect the correct ratio.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Oh, I meant to say that my stock "L" model (Pinky) always smoked a little more out of the left pipe. Nobody I've talked to could explain it, but it is not uncomman. Don't worry about it.

Lane

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

Hopefully I'll finish my J model soon and I'll see how it runs next to his.I've got 80 lbs. on Bud so he should walk away from me if his is right. :?
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2
Now proudly displaying membership number 91 in the Ugly Fat Old Bastards Motorcycle Club.

rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Your weight won't be an issue on a Buffalo. They pull like tanks, and your 73 has the slide-valve carbs. You should be able to take him.

Lane

djfisher22
To the on ramp

Post by djfisher22 »

rngdng wrote:Your weight won't be an issue on a Buffalo. They pull like tanks, and your 73 has the slide-valve carbs. You should be able to take him.

Lane
He'll crap.We used to ride together me on my H2 and him on his H1.He was sure he should have been able to beat me till I dusted him a few times.Now even on the same bike he'll be eating smoke.Hope you're right. :D
72 GT750 (almost done)
73 RV 125
72 RV 90 X 2