Removing the Oil Pump

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Removing the Oil Pump

Post by water cooled »

I noticed that on many of the TR750's where the oil pump has been removed that a cap is placed over top and secured with the three bolts that held the pump in place.

First, why is a cap needed at all? Doesnt the mating shaft seal (that drives the oil pump) seal well enough or does it weep gear oil without a cap?

...Or, is a cap installed to prevent debri from going down into the seal from the outside that would otherwise cause damage?

Are these caps fabricated components or are they from some other application and used for this purpose?

If there is one floating around out there, is anyone interested in selling one?

Kevin
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Kevin

Good questions. My guess is that they took out the shafts as well as the pumps and needed to fill the hole. Should be possible to get one machined quite cheaply.
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

I left the drive shaft in place when I reassembled the cases....recently, I noticed that it is begining to leak slightly and of course I need to contain any oil down the track.

I didnt notice any leaking last year at Norwalk but at Martin, I needed to plug the weep hole on the side of the oil pump housing with some silicone between races to keep it contained.

As long as the seal doesnt let go completely, I should be ok but really need to address it properly. Maybe a cap made out of teflon or similar type thermal plastic for now but I dont think that seal should leak at all which is an indication of bigger problems.

Thanks Richard.
Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Richard.
I don't think that there is a seal at all on the oil pump drive shaft. the whole affair is self sealing when the oil distribution manifold, all the little O-rings, and the oil pump is fastened in place. The shaft is bearing clearance fit only, and will let tranny oil past. You definitely need to cap it to keep oil in, and residue out. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)