Pictures of my Seeley Suzuki GT/TR750 frame, etc...

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Pictures of my Seeley Suzuki GT/TR750 frame, etc...

Post by Kris Bernstein »

I've posted some pictures in photo bucket of the Seeley frame kit that I just acquired and that recently arrived from Sweden, where it sat in a basement for the last thirty years....
Also a set of "vintage" forks and rims that will go on the frame. It will be necessary to fabricate a new swing arm to fit the 5.5X17Dymag Carbon fiber rim. Game plan is to use an Ohlins mono shock set up like on the Ducati 900SS
or simply articulating the shock via a strengthened cross brace and bracket on the Seeley frame. A simple triangulated round tube cromoly swing arm will use the stock Seeley axle spacers and adjusters as they are old school and kinda' cool looking. A mix of old crap and new crap....
Also some nice detailed pictures of the TR750 dry clutch castings and a pic of the Ragged Edge XR11 repo bike...way sexy stuff.....

http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu10 ... Bernstein/
skids
Around the block

Post by skids »

I'm drooling over that frame.

Can you tell us more about what you've done to the clutch?
Tim Skidmore
1977 Suzuki GT500B - Day to day runner
1976 Suzuki GT500A - Cafe project
1978 Yamaha DT250 - Beater
Ogri
On the main road

Post by Ogri »

Good Golly! That bike will be SOOO tough!
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Can you tell us more about what you've done to the clutch?

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Skids!
What can I tell you about the clutch?
Dry clutch conversion requires a longer lay shaft as the primary gear is inside the crank case and the basket out in the air.
Obviously the tranny will need less oil as the inner dry clutch cover takes up nearly half of the former interior of the gear side of the motor. You have to mock up the bottom half of the motor with the inner dry clutch cover installed and measure oil level to where it touches the bottom of the tranny cluster. This way it will get to splash the cluster as it is picked up by rotating mass.
Very important is sufficient oil level to keep the one wet crank bearing lubricated. The close ratio five speed has a 2:1 first and a 1:1 fifth.
You have to slip the clutch cruelly when you do a launch at the start of a race but the good thing about the tall first gear is you can use it in the slow turns, as opposed to the very short GT first gear that is only good at getting away at red lights and is useless thereafter.
What more is left unsaid?

Kris
jaybob
To the on ramp

Post by jaybob »

Kris

Thanks for the explanations. You have an eloquent way of offering an incredible amount of understandable technical information with a few sentences.

I feel like a cub scout with a model rocket talking to the head engineer of the Kennedy space center. :wink:
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

eloquent????

Post by Kris Bernstein »

I wouldn't go that far but thanks. I don't have many secrets with my toys.
Just like to share the knowledge and oftentimes the abysmal failures...Ha!

Kris
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

So Kris while you spilling all the good info about your project i am wondering what reeds you are thinking of running . I just picked up a Polaris 8 petal reed case to try on the next block with the reeds turned on end like nova racing did on there reed convertions Image
the older i get the faster i was
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Hey Dave!

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Will be using Yamaha V-Max 600 twin reed boxes and stock intake boots with a siamesed boost tube shared by all three cylinders and Mukuni TMX carbs.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Those are nice 8 petal reed sets in a smaller cage than the 8 petal Polaris sets .. i guess you will be useing V-Force reeds ?
Last edited by Suzukidave on Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

V-Force?

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Yep. I don't think the GT motor will ever produce enough vacuum to overwhelm those reed sets. Jetting will be interesting as the primary compression issue will be looming in the background, as you know....

I'll be using R&D MotorSports in Clear Water Fla. to do the undercutting of the close ratio, wet, five speed. They have been able to work several miracles for me in the past 20 years or so with crazy gear box problems. Not that the Nova Box has any problems but I like to line up all the Suzuki and Nova gears on the clusters so they match. Our other Seeley 750 that Brad Morrison now owns, has the same box and it has been flawless since it was installed back in the early nineties...
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Kris , what have been your thoughts on transfers and boost ports ?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Kris,

With the (much) lower CR, your transfer flow velocity will be much lower so if you add more transfer area with boost ports, you will be able to use more modern transfer angles and a tighter squish with higher MSV.

An XCR800 Polaris also has pork chops and those large 8 petal reeds Dave mentioned and can be persuaded to make around 200hp, but it does use power valves to make it more tractable.

If you move the piston ring retaining pins, you can get a nicer pair of boost ports ( or one larger boost port). Stock ring position does restrict boost port size.

BTW, is the new Seeley frame the same as the last one or did they make significant differences for that "street" kit?
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

And there the question that i am still tossing around .. to window the pistons or not to add to the boost port effect ? Image Image
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

Street vs. race Seeley Chassis

Post by Kris Bernstein »

Good question!

The frames are identical, right down to the second tube next to the axle holes for the swing arm. The second tube allows a splined rod to be passed through the frame from the left side to the right side. Then you can shift with the "correct" foot. All proper motorbikes shift with the right foot as decreed by the gods of British motor sport.
The one difference is the gas tank. Our race tank is a single compartment aluminum tank. The street Seeley actually has a filler for petrol and a second filler for premix oil. Looks like a fat bob arrangement like on the Harley's.
I would guess that the ugly oil tank was difficult to find room for on the chassis so in true British use of common sense and reason they built a duplex tank.
In order to fit the frame bracing for the Olin's mono shock, we will need to modify the tank, so the duplex feature will be abandoned.
Here is another statement that will get you all going: why do I persist on running antiquated bean oil when there are modern synthetics that are far superior?
Answer: Because it smells good. Like a maiden's sweat, in an endless meadow of clover, on a warm summer evening. Bring on the R30!!!!!

Kris
Kris Bernstein
Around the block

To window, or not to window.

Post by Kris Bernstein »

My plan is to cut down the backs of the pistons so you get 360 degrees of intake duration.
I will run only the one upper ring and boost ports will be cut in the top of the intake ports away from that one ring.
Plans are underway to do an 850cc kit and those pistons will be a one ring design with the pin located directly in line with the stock intake bridge.

Kris