gt750k rough off idle

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

cabz
Around the block

gt750k rough off idle

Post by cabz »

Well I finaly got to ride the old girl today :D first of many shakedown runs :D
while riding I noticed that the bike has a nasty miss at anything below 2500 rpm. I was thinking it was the carbs but I couldnt seem to isolate it .
I pulled the right carb and checked it out and it was clean as a whistle .I was thinking the poits where cloged but that turned out to be wrong .
No vac leaks and the points I had just set . any ideas what could be wrong? also what would Ping sound like on a two stroke? theres so much noise to these things it is hard to tell :) there seemed to be a ting noise when I accelerated hard
Last edited by cabz on Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

P.S when riding if I cracked the throtle she would smooth out ( no miss ) and flat get ta goin :D Mains are just fine I figure :twisted:
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

If it's rough at small throttle openings, it's likely the pilots or the air passages clogged. The pilots are in control at little to no throttle, and the air mixture is critical.

Of course, there is a possibility that the ignition is also involved. For instance, if the battery is very weak, your alternator may not put out enough voltage to produce a sufficient spark. At high rpms, it might be OK. You have alternator brushes, plug caps and wires, coils, points, and condensors to worry about. Check all of these by the book, and correct anything that is wrong, such as plug cap resistances, poor ground connections, etc. My Buffalo was running fine on a long distance ride at Deals Gap one year, and we stopped for a second, so I killed the engine, and it wouldn't start anymore. I finally got it to kickstart with the lights turned off. The problem was a weak battery. When I turned on the headlight, it wouldn't run.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

Well day 2 :D after checking the right carbs pilot and resetting the points it seems to run a hair better. still kind of bucking and missing at lower off idle throttle . I am used to the closed throttle bucking with the vm carbs but on the other side it's kinda agriavteing.

I am gonna pull the air box :evil: and recheck the other pilots and go from there . the idle still runs about 1200 rpm and slowly dies out but it seems like the more I ride it the better it gets .

on a side note does anyone know the part number of the uni filters that will work on the vm carbs , I dont think I have the paitince to put the old air horn back on again.
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Cabz did you do a compression check on the cylinders???
Also if you cleaned the carbs and can be sure the pilot circuits are clear that should rule out a problem there.
Run through it carefully again rechecking all the areas as Lane suggests and try some new condensers while youre at it.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Cabz did you do a compression check on the cylinders???
Also if you cleaned the carbs and can be sure the pilot circuits are clear that should rule out a problem there.
Run through it carefully again rechecking all the areas as Lane suggests and try some new condensers while youre at it.
one of the first things I did was a comp check, I got an even 120psi on all 3
I am unsure about the pilots becase the carb bodies are so oxidized in side I figure it wont hurt to try and check them once more then I'll go over everything else.
:D
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

rngdng wrote:If it's rough at small throttle openings, it's likely the pilots or the air passages clogged. The pilots are in control at little to no throttle, and the air mixture is critical.

Of course, there is a possibility that the ignition is also involved. For instance, if the battery is very weak, your alternator may not put out enough voltage to produce a sufficient spark. At high rpms, it might be OK. You have alternator brushes, plug caps and wires, coils, points, and condensors to worry about. Check all of these by the book, and correct anything that is wrong, such as plug cap resistances, poor ground connections, etc. My Buffalo was running fine on a long distance ride at Deals Gap one year, and we stopped for a second, so I killed the engine, and it wouldn't start anymore. I finally got it to kickstart with the lights turned off. The problem was a weak battery. When I turned on the headlight, it wouldn't run.

Lane
I have abrand new batery and the alt puts out ok . I also have a new rectfier and all the wiring connections on the bike have been cleaned and dilectric greased , I have rechecked all the grounds and they are good as well.
Now the points and condensor are old , I was hopeing to hold off on replaeing them for a bit they dont appear to be bad . but I will double check the condensors anyway
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

If your carbs were as badly oxidized as the Kaw H1 that I'm currently working on, you may have lost enough material in the passages to make it impossible for the bike to run well. I had to give up on the carb bodies and get another set because there was a lot of visible pitting in all of the passages. After cleaning, the needle jet would rattle around even after tightening the main jet. Not too good! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just another thought.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

rngdng wrote:If your carbs were as badly oxidized as the Kaw H1 that I'm currently working on, you may have lost enough material in the passages to make it impossible for the bike to run well. I had to give up on the carb bodies and get another set because there was a lot of visible pitting in all of the passages. After cleaning, the needle jet would rattle around even after tightening the main jet. Not too good! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just another thought.

Lane
thats what I am praying isnt the case, I will popem apart one more time and see.if they are toasted I'm gonna find a good set of BS carbs to slap on and be done with it :D
I did however land a complete points and condensor set off ebay for $30 bucks hopefully that will help out some
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

I think I have a set of carbs you can have for shipping, not sure of the condition. I can look if you want and shoot you photo if I can locate the carbs. Now I don't remember what carbs you have these would be the CV. I have to read your post again.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
cabz
Around the block

Post by cabz »

TLRam1 wrote:I think I have a set of carbs you can have for shipping, not sure of the condition. I can look if you want and shoot you photo if I can locate the carbs. Now I don't remember what carbs you have these would be the CV. I have to read your post again.
the carbs I am fighting right now are the vm's the non cv's but If I cant make them work right I'll take you up on that :D
I ran the BS carbs on another 73 and never had any issues with them