First race running premix

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dbc105
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

First race running premix

Post by dbc105 »

Had a pretty good weekend at Roebling Rd. First race completed, running 28-1 premix, funny doesn't smoke any worse than it did with the oil pump and now I don't have to worry about the old hard lines and the poppet valves sticking. I didn't run it hard, mostly just feeling out the bike to see what I have.

One thing I did have was a little clutch slippage when I shifted. The best I can tell it is a stock clutch and the steel plates are dimpled. I've seen that done on car auto transmission clutch parts to make them engage softer.

Is there an upgrade for plates and springs that I can run? Maybe parts from a GS or something? EBC has the fibers so I guess I will order a set of those unless someone has a better fiber to use out of another bike.

Geoff, what do you have in your clutch?

Thanks,
DC
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Re: First race running premix

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi David,

Both my race engines use the NOVA billet clutch basket. They are fitted with T500 steel plates and a combination of Honda CR450 and Suzuki DR350 friction plates. Sounds complicated and it works well, however the std. clutch is well up to the job too.

First renew the friction plates with Suzuki or the EBC offerings. Check the steel plates carefully and replace as required (or just get a complete new set :lol: ). EBC also do a set of springs which are about 10% stronger, however the already heavy clutch pull is not going to improve. I use 3 std. and 3 EBC springs which helps slightly and have had no slippage issues.

Cheers Geoff
dbc105
On the street

Post by dbc105 »

Thanks Geoff, I head in that direction. So far it doesn't slip bad and doesn't slip at all in first gear and if it was a street bike would likely not be an issue. I posted a pic of my bike on your Geoffery Wells page.
dbc105
On the street

Post by dbc105 »

on your steel plates, are they dimpled or are they slick faced? The ones I have in the bike are dimpled, if the holes went all the way through I would call them perforated.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi David,

I know what you are mean by "dimples" in the steel plates but I cannot remember if the std. Suzuki plates I am using have them (I tend to think they are smooth faced though).

Yep, saw the photo. That is a nice build :up:

Cheers Geoff
dbc105
On the street

Post by dbc105 »

I bought it from a buddy of mine that is from Scotland. He actually built it and his kids got old enough for college so he stopped racing for a few years and I got it from him. He plans to get back in after his kids are graduated but he is wanting to get into a later model Ducati and not race vintage. I just got it on the track so I'm just now feeling out the bike but he was a lot faster on it than I am. He is a lot younger than I am too, LOL.