1969 Stinger no spark

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

robert campbell
Around the block

1969 Stinger no spark

Post by robert campbell »

Hello,
I am restoring a 69 T-125 Suzuki stinger and have no spark. I removed the stator and cleaned the fly wheel magnetic surfaces. I cleaned and checked the point gap. I have continuity between the coils and the points. New plugs. I expect to see 6 volts to the coils when I roll the motor, but get none. I am an experienced two stoker and auto restoration guy but I have some questions.

1. Will this engine start without a battery?
2. Is checking for votage at the coil a good test?

The ignition switch is not hooked up at this time. I have pluged in all the wires from the stator and ensure no other wires are grounded.

On another note, does anyone have the timing and point gap specifications? A pic from the service manual. On still another note, I may take this engine down. Is there anybody that does some hop up things such as porting for this bike?

Rob
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: 1969 Stinger no spark

Post by GTandcbr »

First question is how did you clean the contacts? If you used anything which is abrasive it can remove the plating and they wont function. A peice of clean card is the way to clean them up.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
robert campbell
Around the block

Re: 1969 Stinger no spark

Post by robert campbell »

GTandcbr wrote:First question is how did you clean the contacts? If you used anything which is abrasive it can remove the plating and they wont function. A peice of clean card is the way to clean them up.

Thanks. I used a match strike and it is abrasive. Think I will source some new ones.