New member with a t500 engine

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Re: New member with a t500 engine

Post by tz375 »

Geoff, All in all, that's pretty good and would make for an easy bike to ride or race.
Thebrandonbeezy
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gs1000g gs850g ds80 tc185

Post by Thebrandonbeezy »

Here is where im at haha
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Have you been able to move it ?
Thebrandonbeezy
On the street

Nope, only been soaking since last Saturday haha. I tried smaking the pistons with a wooden block and hammer but no luck yet.. the mane problem is that i cant fill the right cylinder because of the open ports
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

Zunspec4 wrote: The Ex port has been raised by only 1mm, all other ports are of std. dimensions.
Zunspec4 wrote:my barrels are of the later type with the bridged inlet port.
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

OK only 1mm off EX height which I imagine you stayed the same shape and an all ports the same shape since stock . I get the port clean up and case matching, transfer smoothing, blue printing and equal transfer heights etc. I do this as well best as I can too. You are basically stock porting: but with a tad more Ex duration and the shortest intake duration.

I think the later (shorter intake duration) T500 all stock bike had peak HP at 6500 RPM stock and 7000 rpm for earlier longer intake duration, it looks like you begin to dip at 6500: Hmm :idea: .

My guess is your pipes are tuned to pull you past 6500 to 7500. I have seen "race" chambers alone raise peek HP point on stock engine by that much percentage

Those proper squished heads are helping even more (would like some of those! can they be purchased?).

You see heads for RD400 make ~6 hp claims on a 400 and suspect that is very true
https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamah ... n-your-rd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too bad nothing made aftermarket for Suz (GT550, T500, T350...)

My thinking (guess :wink: ) where gains are as follows now I have rpm is

Later T500 stock is 44 HP @crank , less 15% = 37 hp at wheel + 6hp (nice heads you have) + 2 hp carbs+misc = 46hp * 7500RPM/6500RPM added rpm pull = 52hp at wheel.

Do you have picture of those pipes?

fun stuff
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
Thebrandonbeezy
On the street

In response to being asked what the over all bike will resemble when done, somthing like this
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Vintageman wrote:
Zunspec4 wrote: The Ex port has been raised by only 1mm, all other ports are of std. dimensions.
Zunspec4 wrote:my barrels are of the later type with the bridged inlet port.
Thanks so much for sharing!!!

OK only 1mm off EX height which I imagine you stayed the same shape and an all ports the same shape since stock . I get the port clean up and case matching, transfer smoothing, blue printing and equal transfer heights etc. I do this as well best as I can too. You are basically stock porting: but with a tad more Ex duration and the shortest intake duration.

I think the later (shorter intake duration) T500 all stock bike had peak HP at 6500 RPM stock and 7000 rpm for earlier longer intake duration, it looks like you begin to dip at 6500: Hmm :idea: .

My guess is your pipes are tuned to pull you past 6500 to 7500. I have seen "race" chambers alone raise peek HP point on stock engine by that much percentage

Those proper squished heads are helping even more (would like some of those! can they be purchased?).

You see heads for RD400 make ~6 hp claims on a 400 and suspect that is very true
https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamah ... n-your-rd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too bad nothing made aftermarket for Suz (GT550, T500, T350...)

My thinking (guess :wink: ) where gains are as follows now I have rpm is

Later T500 stock is 44 HP @crank , less 15% = 37 hp at wheel + 6hp (nice heads you have) + 2 hp carbs+misc = 46hp * 7500RPM/6500RPM added rpm pull = 52hp at wheel.

Do you have picture of those pipes?

fun stuff
Hello vintageman,

Oops, sorry missed replying. Here is a photo of my Tony Green pipes, with dimensions:

And one of them as fitted:

Cheers Geoff
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

Zunspec4,

Thanks for posting those pipes.

If I recall I think Jemco said he had both street pipes and race pipes for T500

Street ->
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-T500-Jem ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Race-> (last pic)
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/photoblog/chris.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Jemco race set looks more like your Tony Green pipes.
Does your T500 have good low end power or mid-range and up?

Your bike looks very nice.

Thebrandonbeezy
It is hard to un stick a piston like that... without some heavy hammering eventually in your future
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I am told that the Jemco race pipes are a copy of a pair of Swarbricks made and sold by Dave Swarbrick in the UK.

Now I checked that link, that says the same thing.
:lol:
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Vintageman,

I posted a photo of the dyno results earlier in the post, one of the objectives of the tuner was having an engine that "drives" and although I personally have not ridden the bike Gary reported that it does (at his racing pace anyway :lol: ).

If TBB can't get his pistons unstuck though he is not going anywhere. Maybe soaking in diesel fuel will work. Actually I recently encountered a T500 barrel that just would not move, even though I made up a pulling plate. The real culprit was that one of the studs was totally corroded to the barrel. A common problem with the GT750 I believe but not common on the T500. The owner finally had to cut through the barrel and stud before the barrel came free, rather drastic but there was no other way. Try applying you favourite release goop to the stud holes as well TBB, it might just be you also have a corroded in stud.

Cheers Geoff
Vintageman
Expert racer

Post by Vintageman »

I think TBB should start giving that piston a good hit now and again sooner than later. Make a nice fat concave hardwood dowel and occasional dead blows to the top of that piston. Start easy and a little harder over time. If like me, after 10 minutes I'll get pissed (no patience) and it will come out but wont be pretty (piston and cylinder walls at least junk). You can take your time at this no rush. My experience that piston is fused in there well and nothing is getting by to free it up. It will allow your secret sauce to begin to seep through better if it would just move a bit. I heard of some people using modern rust remover baths, but those are water based and you only have a 203 days soak time before it rusts me thinks. Also once you start with oil based solvent that stuff won't get through.

I wished I asked Jemco for Swarbricks verison. Not sure why he offered me those other ones. Not sure I really had an option? I do think those and Zunpsecs are tuned to give you more top end even with stock porting, but that usually kills bottom some (always trade offs).

Someday I'll measure the jemco street version dimensions
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
Thebrandonbeezy
On the street

Ive been hitting it with a block of wood and a 5lbs mini sledge few times every other day. The barrels are free from the block and the oil has seeped a little into right cyl. Problem is that the left is completely open in the ports so it wont hold oil. Friday im picking up a plastic create thats water tight and going to fill it with trans fluid, pull the covers off the sides and submerge the entire engine for a while. Im in no rush and even though i plan to replace the barrels and pistons i dont want to destroy what i have
Thebrandonbeezy
On the street

I have to ask. I have a crate full of cv carb bits. I was wondering could a set of i think bs34s be made to work? I also have a set of kz440 ltd carbs which are also cv carbs. Only reason i ask is because once theyre dialed in theyre good to ride all year and in various elevations to an extent. I live in Florida but often go to Tennessee so not having to change jetting for that would be nice
Jimroid
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500 T500 GT750

Post by Jimroid »

The later GT750's came with CV carbs.
johnu
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by johnu »

Thebrandonbeezy wrote:Frame will be 1 off (my best freind is a frame builder)
He will also be building pipes. Thats roughly $1000 usd i am planning on the mikuni vm34 as you used as for engine modding not sure.. i know that we had thrown around ideas of how much power i was gonna want and 50 at the tire is about all i need. If my cylinders are pitted too much i will replace them with an early set the bottom end shift into all gears fine but since i have yet to un lock the pistons yet i dont know how thats gonna turn out i know the kick start is messed up so that will need minding.. but over all its not going to be an extremely over the top build so it wont cost that much unless theres something i absolutely have to have.. this bike will get a thrashing almost every day so it probably will be just below show quality
Hey Brandon I like your plan! I was going to build my own frame for my t500 too but after serious thought (and advice from others) it was just going to take way too much time. You are fortunate to have a frame builder friend! I did build my own pipes, tank and seat though. I look forward to seeing this project progress though it sounds like it will take a while as mine did too. Here is a pic of my pipes if it's of interest to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.