Setting Timing for 1976 Suzuki GT250A

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

Setting Timing for 1976 Suzuki GT250A

Post by TJCOOL »

Hi

Having trouble finding data info on how to set the timing on my bike. I'm new at this restoring thing and sure could use some help\direction on how to set timing. The timing apparently is off because she won't start and when attempts to push start it results in some back firing...someone said timing was off so for the first time in my life I'm going to set this timing and eventually restore the bike. For the time being I'd like to at least get it started. My manuals don't seem to have anything directly for this and especially for timing-for-dummies :shock: ...

any ideas and\or notes\links would be very much appreciated....and one more thing..what and where can i get the necessary equipment to set timing...light,timing tester and timing gauge?....probably should have these right?

thanks

Terry
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: Setting Timing for 1976 Suzuki GT250A

Post by Craig380 »

Hi and yes, setting the timing can be finicky but it's not hard, providing you take it logically.

You will need feeler gauges, ideally a 0.35mm / 14thou feeler. If not, a 0.3 and a 0.4 feeler will do. You don't need a timing light or tester, just get any old transistor radio, set it to the AM band and tune it so you're getting static hiss. Place radio on the saddle near the gas tank. You can check the timing by turning the ignition on, and SLOWLY turning the engine via the kickstart. At the exact moment the points open and fire the coils, you'll hear a crack or pop from the radio (caused by the RFI from the coils). STOP moving the kickstart, and check the timing marks to see exactly when the crack / pop happens. Repeat a few times 'til you're sure you've got it right. Then adjust accordingly. Remember, "measure twice, cut once". Check and recheck your readings BEFORE you start fiddling.

First, make sure the breaker points have clean faces. Use only residue-free contact cleaner on the points, NOT WD40 or similar. Then follow the procedure in the pages from the manual at this link: viewtopic.php?p=118772" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You check the point gap ONLY at the widest point - turn the engine SLOWLY on the kickstart while watching the points. You will see them open and close. Find the position where the points are FULLY open, and ONLY then measure the gap on one. Then do the same for the other point.

Good luck, let us know how you go on.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

There are timing differences between early GT250A & later GT250A.
You should read Service Bulletin 30. http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/techbuls/index.htm
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
TJCOOL
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 SUZUKI GT 250A

Post by TJCOOL »

yes, thanks i read that and that was why i was able to get her started..the timing setup is different with this than the others..it worked..

thanks

Terry