Compression

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

I was invited back to do it all again when I was in school too.

But it was because it was a requirement for my major, and the first symester I tried it the grades weren't high enough....

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Hey, don't get me wrong. I think it's great that you guys have the formulas, etc to get into it that deep. I'm just a hack. I don't understand half of what I do! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Anybody that found their way to the Sundial Forum probably already knows that the GT750 engine was designed and ported for touring comfort at cruising RPMs. Suzuki engineers knew what they were doing. They also knew what they were doing when they modified the engine into a TR750 for GP racing. Unfortunately, GP racing wasnt the bug that bit me.

My engine was modified by a tuner 20 years ago but I was too young and naive to understand what he was doing. A couple years ago, I reassembled the engine and raced what I had with what most would accurately call an "unknown" engine. The problem is, what direction do you go in to make performance improvement for the application and recognizing what the differences are between road racing and drag racing with respect to setting the engine up.

To me, its more about understanding the limits of the stock components inside the engine (since thats what I have to work with) and making changes that will allow greater performance without causing some catastrophic failure somewhere else. Since most of us cant access the Suzuki design data, it is guess work to some degree but much of the risk can be minimized by following some established guidelines that exist for 2 stroke engines.

If this engine blows up, I will probably be done so I am trying hard to better understand what I am doing as well as getting a good grasp on where that point is where I am really pushing the component limits.

To me, reading, studying and understanding this stuff is a big part of the fun.....and it is also free. A set of .5 over piston.....those are expensive...
Last edited by water cooled on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

So you don't see nitro/methane, 20:1 compression and sky high RPMs in your future. :lol:

At least GT750 motors are still relatively cheap and available at the moment. racing of any type has a tendency to consume way more resources than any of us were prepared to "invest" and blow ups happen when we start to stretch the limits of a design.

Fortunately, drag racing is brutal but quick. No mile long straightaways for example and a whole lot less corners than other types of racing. :)
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

Now I didn't say that nitro methane and 20:1 compression was out of the question....I just hope sky high rpms dont happen before I'm ready for them! :shock: