Which engine for my hybrid?

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PeterG
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: None

Which engine for my hybrid?

Post by PeterG »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but I think I might be needing to use it on a regular basis.

I am new to two strokes, I've had BSA Bantams, Greeves, a Lambretta, a 76 registered Kwaka H2, and even a 50cc Suzuki in the 60s and 70s. But I never did anything to them, except clean feathered plugs and pour yet more petrol into the Kwaka. I have a lot of experience with four strokes, I assembled (that is put together, from parts we had sourced from other experts.) racing engines for classic Jaguars, Ford Small Block V8s and British Fords for over 20 years. However 2 strokes are a completely different science!

I have three BSA A65s. One a 66 model has no engine, so just to do something different, I thought I'd put a 2 stroke in it. First thought is Kawasaki, but do a little research, and Suzuki comes up as probably the better choice. Which one? I don't necessarily want the complexity of a water cooled 750, a 550 and a 500 must be fairly similar in terms of output, but the 550 is substantially wider than a 500, you have to buy three of everything for a 550, and looking at this forum, most people seem to do more on the 500.

I don't want "an all or nothing" motor, just something with a reasonable amount more than stock. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might get this information please.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Which engine for my hybrid?

Post by Alan H »

Where are you in the UK?
It might be an idea to have a close look at someone's 550 and 500 before you make a decision.
I love 550s and have several, they are smoother than a twin, slightly more powerful and have an electric start. That saying, I like the 500 too, lovely big engine that has lots of potential.
The 500 is left foot kickstart and can be tuned more than the 550. Both 5 speed and positive oil lubrication so no premix. The oil systems are very reliable and Suzuki engines don't like premix as there are 'flingers' on the crank that move oil AWAY from the bearings when it has done its job after being pumped where it is needed.
2 Strokes are much easier to work on than 4 strokes, none of those nasty valve things bouncing about for starters!!
Economy is similar, about 40-45 mpg on my 550. Depends what you want really. A Bazuki would be good I think.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Hi and welcome. To echo Alan's thoughts, a 500 twin would seem to be the easier option for slotting into the frame, the A65 frame has very narrow front downtubes which could be tricky to slot a triple's middle header pipe through :wink:

I suppose it's a question of measuring up chain runs, engine mount positions and seeing how it'll all fit. At least the 'power egg' motor is quite short in length with the unit gearbox, so the 500 engine should be similar dimensions ... good luck with it!
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
old racer
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: RG250 GT750L GT750 DRAG seelyt500 tr500MK3

Post by old racer »

I agree with all that was said above,
If you need any dimensions for the 500 engine let me know.
PeterG
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: None

Post by PeterG »

Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. old racer, if you've any dimensions that you think will help me, please can I have them.
I'm also on the look out for a complete bike. I'll need more than just the engine and box I think, I might even need the rear wheel as I'll have to change the brake pedal to the other side of the bike. Nothing too fancy though, as I will be in effect braking it, though a runner would be nice.